2. Struggles

2. Struggles: Xander's Pov (pic above)^^^

QOTC (question of the chapter)- do you want to see more of Brody?

"You feel sparks because we're mates, that's why it good when I do this," I say leaning in and kissing Charlotte's baby soft lips. She's shocked at my actions but doesn't resist or freak out, instead she kisses back; just the tiniest bit.

Our kiss was short, but it couldn't have been any better; just knowing that she kissed back a tiny bit is enough to reassure me that I can make our relationship a strong one. As I pull away from her, I notice her bright red cheeks. "We're mates." I confirm.

Charlotte nods and shyly turns away. "Look at me," I say taking both of her hands with one of mine.

"I don't want to rush you into anything. We'll take it slow okay?"

She again nods in agreement and doesn't open her mouth to speak.

"Ah, you're awake." Doctor Thompson greets a few moments later.

"When will Charlotte be discharged?" I ask getting straight to the point.

"Right after you fill out these papers, Alpha." he replies handing me a packet and some pills before walking out again.

Skimming all the questions, I realize that I barely know any of the answers. Name and date is all I know.

"How old are you, baby?" I ask.

"I-don't know."

"Do you know when your birthday is?"

She shakes her head.

"When my old pack beat me I forgot a lot of things." she tells me. I glare at the pen in my hand and refrain from punching something.

"Do you remember any family? Or if you were born in your old pack or not?"

"I know I had parents, maybe a big brother too. But I don't know anything else about my life." she whispers.

"We can do a blood test if you you're okay with it- To find out if we can find a relative and more information about you." I offer.

Charlotte blinks and then at the IV's attached to her body. "You don't have to do that for me, I don't want to waste any more of your time." she declines.

Wasting my time? Even though I can't feel her emotions yet, I know that feel inside she wants to find out more about herself. Just by all the medication and support she needs, its obvious that she's been abused and starved for years. "Doc, can we do a blood test to get more information on Charlotte?" I ask.

"I'm sorry, Alpha, but she won't be able to handle any more blood loss." he answers, but I can tell the indifference in his tone.

'Shit's about to get real.' my wolf muses.

I get up out of my seat and motion for Dr. Thompson to meet me in the hallway. I don't want my mate to hear me do this, so I walk a few rooms down from hers. "Why the hell are you lying to me?" I ask dangerously calm.

He just stares at me.

"Answer me when I ask you a question!" I demand slamming him against the wall by the neck.

"The girl could do a blood test, Alpha. Please forgive me." he frantically apologizes.

"One more offense against my mate I will personally kill you." I threaten releasing him.

With one last glance, I rush to get back to Charlotte. How dare a shifter defy his Alpha like that; if it weren't for the fact that he was treating my mate, I would've killed him. I still want to kill him.