18. F.E.A.R (False Evidence Appearing Real)

18. F.E.A.R. (False Evidence Appearing Real): Xander's Pov

This chapter is dedicated to: ballgownswift for being such an awesome reader ever since I started writing on Wattpad.

The name of Charlotte's mate is Xander. While I was reading the comments throughout the chapters, I noticed that there were a few arguments about his name. There's even a chapter titled, "Because You're Xander Reynolds".

Charlotte = Shar-let
Brody = Broe-dee
Xander = Zan-der

QOTC- none. Feel free to ask any questions, I'll answer. 🐓

"Happy New Year, sweetheart." I smile, leaning in for a kiss. Charlotte happily repeats my words and does the same. After we pull away, I move her hair to the side and stare at the tattoo-like symbol on her neck. This is how the werewolf world knows that she's mine, there's no doubt about it. "I love you." I whisper, not bothering to raise my voice over the loud fireworks. "I love you so fucking much."

"I love you too."she giggles when I shower her face with light kisses. Every time those words leave her mouth, a smile makes its way into my face. She doesn't openly talk about how she feels about me, but I can tell the that she tries to make up for it with kisses. I keep my hands on her waist as we look up at the bright fireworks lighting up the sky.

She was afraid of being on the roof at first, but quickly adjusted. My Humpty Dumpty references weren't any help, though. I didn't think that she would be scared of things like that. She stares at the shapes and patterns going off, but I'm staring at the beauty herself. "They're s-so pretty..." she trails off, looking at the bright lights.

"Yeah," I agree, still staring at my mate.

*** (a couple days later)

Charlotte's Pov

I'm not going to cry. I am not going to cry.

I keep repeating those words in my head, trying my best to steady my breathing and blink away developing tears. I haven't been able to sleep at all knowing that I'm meeting with Alpha Jones and Gamma Dolan tomorrow. Xander planned on staying up to try calming my nerves, but he eventually fell asleep. 'Mate will protect us from them.' my wolf reminds me.

'I know, but we can't protect him.' I reply. Xander can easily take down anyone who attacks, but he doesn't know how Alpha Jones or Gamma Dolan act when provoked. Sooner or later they'll come up with a plan to escape the cells and start a war between Red Stone and Lunar Shadow. I just don't want anyone to get hurt because I decided to run away from my tormentors.

"Xander." I call out when I hear the booming sounds of thunder outside. All of it reminds me of the times I had to sleep outside in the pouring rain without any form of protection. "Xander," I repeat, my fear growing stronger with each second passing. Alpha Jones, and Gamma Dolan always find ways to get into my head even if it's indirectly. "Pl-Please wake up."

I take his hand and gently tug on it, not planning on hiding in the bathroom this time. The last panic attack I had, I gave up on waking up my mate. That won't happen tonight. "Xander." my right leg begins to tremble as scenarios of him getting angry at me for waking him up fly through my mind. My wolf and I know that he wouldn't ever lay a hand on us like that, but we can never be too sure.

"Mmm." Xander growls, immediately reaching out for me as he wakes. "Charlotte..." he trails off before noticing my terrified form. "I'm so sorry, baby. I wasn't supposed to fall asleep so early."