Chapter Twenty Eight

Emma’s p.o.v

“Emma Carter” he looked amused.

Suddenly the whole world around me didn’t exist. Suddenly I didn’t feel grounded anymore and I couldn’t breathe. Judith turned around to take a look at me as she spoke to the crowd and widened her eyes irritated that I was turning blue and purple with no air.

“BREATHE!” Adam whispered harshly into my ears and I let go of some air. I really couldn’t believe what was happening and when I eyed Chris he seemed in complete control, actually more than in complete control. It seemed like he was enjoying me suffer or something.

“Would the two partners like to say something?” Judith asked us in front of everybody in the room and I just nodded and smiled.

“Yes please” Chris grinned and took over the microphone.

As soon as he was busy giving his speech I lost my balance but Adam grabbed my hand and patted my back. “Geesh, do you have some kind of stage fright or something? You look bloody sick” he bit his lips and continued smiling at the crowd.

“He… he.. he” I struggled to speak.

“He what?” Adam looked at me confused.

“He… He… He is…

“I’m her ex” Chris completed. Adam and I hadn’t noticed he was done with the speech and everyone was back to normal, chatting away and enjoying the food laid out for them.

“What?” Adam cracked up, almost laughing over the situation he was just told about.

“He is not my ex” I finally spat out the words. “He is hell on earth” I gritted my teeth and got off the stage and started to walk towards the bar.

“She’s not in her senses” Chris spoke to Adam and then a few other words which I choose to signal out.

“Give me anything stronger than vodka” I banged the bar table and suddenly everyone at the table was giving me weird looks.

“We got Saki” the bartender raised his eyebrow.

“Anything that will give me the confidence to kill a man tonight” I sighed and he nodded and ran to the back of the bar to get me my drink.

“So you do always plan on killing people in your past? Or you just need some courage to talk to me?” Chris surprisingly spoke behind me.

“Get out of my sight” I mumbled and he heard it.

“I can’t” he answered back and then leaned in too close and whispered in my ears, “You see we are partners now, and partners stick together”

“AH FUCK YOU!” I blasted off irritated and tried moving away from him. He grabbed my arm tight within his hold and pulled me back to him.

“Leave me alone Chris” I moved my wrist under his tight grip.

“Emma listen to me” his voice soft and gentle. His hands were warm and they made my entire body shudder. His breathe smelt amazing and his aftershave was spicy hot. He didn’t smell the way he smelt years ago.. chocolaty. No, he smelt grown up, matured and really sexy... things were different about him…things I hadn’t seen in his eyes before.

“Is everything alright?” Judith appeared out of nowhere looking at us suspiciously while she held her glass of champagne.

“Yes” I sighed gaining control.

“Then will you explain to me what the hell happened on the stage? Do you know each other?” she asked.

“She used to go to my sisters school” Chris admitted.