43. ILARIA

Luca and I have just finished decorating my new house.

I love it.

Everything about it.

It's so perfect.

I do hate the bundles of Reign men stationed all around it however.

Malory and I finally finished putting all my brand new clothes into my closet. All the ones in the explosion got donated to good will.

She lays across my bed. "We're gonna have the best sleep overs here."

"Imagine the pool parties." I look down at my pool, that I forced my the cleaners to drain and cut the blue out, replacing it with pink.

"Summer is gonna be so fun!" She squeals, but her phone rings and she leaves quickly once duty calls.

Then I realise how lonely it is.

I go downstairs, start to cook. I always make enough food to feed my bodyguards as well.

There was a knock at the door.

Spencer, my bodyguard, opens it and I look over from the kitchen. "Ilaria." He calls.

I walk over, surprised to see Akahana there with some flowers and a gift bag. "Hey." She smiles softly.

"Hey, come in." I wipe the flour off my hands onto my top.

She walks in, kicks her shoes off and follows me to the kitchen. "Was forced to give these to you from Asahi." She puts the flowers on the counter. "But this is from me." She hands me the gift bag.

"Oh, you didn't have to." I wash my hands quickly.

"I did. You basically saved my life." Her eyes follow my actions. "Thank you so much for that."

"No problem. Anyday, honestly. I love shoving it in my brothers face that I can do stuff myself." I sit at the breakfast bar. She pulls out the chair and sits with me.

"How are you holding up?" I ask.

"Good. There wasn't too much damage done." She looks down. "How about you?"

"Oh. I am fine, honestly."

"This house is lovely." She looks around. "Big."

"Yeah, kinda lonely, might get a dog or something." I stand up, filling my vase up with water. "Peonies." I smile at the vibrant pink.

"Yeah, Asahi drove me here."

"From Chicago?" I raise an eyebrow.

"Yup. Long ass drive but we haven't really gotten along for a couple years now and mom suggested we drive here to try and reconcile." She cracks her knuckles. "He's waiting outside, in the car."

I cut the stems and put the flowers in the vase. "How is he?" I ask.

"He's... getting by." She plays with her rings. "He's usually so... organised and scheduled but he's just not like that anymore."

"He'll get there." I keep my hands busy by cooking again. "Wanna stay for pizza?"

"I shouldn't. Don't wanna keep him waiting."

A part of me nearly invited him in.

"That's okay." I look at the clock. "Are you driving back?"

"God no. Staying a couple nights in Long Island then heading back. Asahi is on mandatory leave and dads forcing him to take a break."

"Why is he on leave?"

"He's had anger management issues since he was a kid, and they've just gotten worse recently. He nearly killed a guy they were arresting." She shakes her head.

"Has he ever tried boxing?"

"He's got the highest ranking in all martial arts so dads gonna make him start teaching the kids again." She stands up. "I just wanted to say thank you. I know we didn't get off on the right foot but I really am grateful for everything that you did."

"No problem. I'll see you some other time." I hug her.

She hugs me, I see her out.

Asahi and my three bodyguards were talking away, each sharing a cigarette. "Does he smoke?" I ask Hana.

"Used to." She walks up to him, taking the cigarette off him.

His eyes fall to me as he keeps talking to my men, that are his friends.

Why are they friends?

I walk back inside, but immediately run upstairs to my balcony and watch from there.

Laughing and all.

But his eyes find me again. He smiles softly, to which I reciprocate, and then he says his goodbyes and leaves.

I run right back down the stairs. "Oi, you three, get here." I shout.

They all walk over and I make them stand in my kitchen.

Spencer raises his eyebrows. "What's that look for?"

"Why are you all chit chatting kindly with... him?"

Grayson smiles. "He's a nice man."

"He's... He.. What! He broke my heart."

"Apart from that, he's nice." He rectifies.

"So fake. You guys are supposed to have my back." I start cooking again.

"We do. Literally 24/7." Paolo states.

I mock him. "Go. All of you. But come back in 30 minutes because the food will be done. Also, one of you comes with me to the hair salon tomorrow, the other two can rest."

They sort that out between themselves and I finish cooking.

And I couldn't get his damn smile out of my mind.

=
=
=
=
=
i also cannot get asahi's imaginary smile out of my mind

word count: 854