58. ASAHI

Ilaria was still fast asleep when I woke up.

For the past 2 weeks we have been inseparable. Last night we flew back from Hawaii to Chicago Romeo said to catch an early flight to New York so we can discuss things.

Not being bothered to listen to him, I walk down the stairs to see my father making food. "Morning." I clear my throat. "Could've told me you were coming round."

"You were sleeping. Was a spontaneous decision." He turns the heat down on whatever he was making. "She asleep?"

"Yeah."

"Sit down, we need to talk."

I walk to the fridge first, getting a bottle of water and then walk to the breakfast counter. "What?"

"I've been friends with the Reigns for many years, done them many favours to ensure protection for you, Hana, your mom and I."

I slouch a little. I didn't know that. I just thought they did things for each other.

"Back when I just met your mom, Reign was one of my targets. So I was after him day and night, ontop of my other cases." He starts chopping some zucchini. "Your mom went missing once and I had a feeling it was the Reigns, target your opposers weakness, that's something they live by."

"I went to them, I went to warehouses in New York thinking she was there and they all told me that Arabella gave them strict rules to never lay hands on Athena." He looks down, as if he's remembering something so clearly. "Then when Arabella got kidnapped and Athena was a trainee doctor, they formed a friendship. When I took Arabella to London when she was pregnant with the triplets, she and I formed a friendship."

"What are you getting at, dad?"

"I'm a hated man, Asahi." He looks up. "And when your mom was pregnant with you and Akahana, I remember asking the Reigns for one thing and one thing only."

He looks at me. "Make sure you and Akahana are protected for the rest of your lives."

My attention shifts from him to the stairs, Ilaria walking down with my shirt dropping to her knees.

Dad clears his throat. "I made some food." He says to Ilaria. "Care to join us while we speak?"

She looks at me, almost for approval.

I just look back at my dad and let her make her own decisions. "Sure." She walks over. "Not hungry-"

"You're eating, baby."

She sits down, rubbing her lips together. "I knew my parents were always protecting somebody but I didn't realise it was you and Hana." She says quietly.

"When you started FBI training, and Hana took after your mom. I told them I didn't need the protection anymore." Dad continues. "So they stopped. But they've been protecting you without even knowing it your entire life."

Hana was getting harassed at a club once, the next morning the man was on the news with police asking people for any tips on who murdered this man outside of a nightclub.

That must've been them.

"For 24 years, Reign men, and those who respect Reign men have been told to stay away from you."

Ilaria looks down. "If you marry me that all stops."

Dad looks at her, nodding his head slightly. "You'd be marrying the only available woman in the Reign family, and that comes with a lot of risks. All those men made promises, because one day, their hope was to marry Ilaria and they wanted extra credit."