Chapter 40

Luna turned to her remaining friend and Orion looked at her. "Are you ready for this?" he asked and she shook her head. That was the one question that she didn't want to answer right now. Her head was spinning, was she ready? Ready to alter the entire kingdom, to alter her life and become an assassin? Hell no. She wasn't but it was what she had worked her way to and now that it was staring her in the face she wasn't sure about it, about any of it. Taking a deep breath she steadied herself and nodded. "Y..yeah, let's go back to the tavern and get ready, I think, I think it is almost time." Orion nodded and stood up. "Sounds good to me, let's go." Luna squared her shoulders and followed him back to the Rose and Crown Tavern.

Once they got there Luna sighed and went to her room, going and starting a bath watching the tub fill with water. Going into the closet she pulled a dark green dress out of the line of gowns that where lining her closet and found shoes that matched it before setting them on the hook outside the door and finding jewels that matched, setting them aside too before going back to the bathroom and checking the tub. When it was full to where she wanted it she got herself out of the dress that she was wearing and got in. Sinking down she closed her eyes and submerged herself in fully before surfacing and starting to wash.

When she was done Luna got out of the tub which was now a dark gray and wrapped her hair in one towel before wrapping a second around her body. Once she dried off and dried her hair she got dressed. Slipping into a different dress, so that she wouldn't ruin the one she was going to wear to the party, she had to work for a second to tie the laces and grinned when she got them done the right way, even though it had taken her three tries to get it right. When Luna was done she went to the mirror and looked at her reflection. She had changed so much since the time that she had been that little girl standing next to her mother as the soldiers had come and given her that letter, the letter that had planted this seed for revenge in her heart. This need for someone to pay for the deed that had killed her father. It wouldn't have happened if he had just stayed here like his orders had said. But no, the reserves, her father included, had been called up. He had gone to serve his country and so far, after years hadn't come back.

Sighing Luna looked at her reflection one more time before grabbing her cloak and wrapping it around her shoulders. This was going to be an interesting party. Making sure that everything was where she needed it she went out of her room and locked the door before going down the hall to Helian's room. She knew that he wasn't there but she went into the room anyway and shut the door. Taking a deep breath Luna went and sat on his bed. Her mind was spinning, playing everything that had happened so far. Was she really about to do this? Wrapping her arms around herself Luna took a deep breath and tried to get her mind to stop racing.

Hearing a knock on the door Luna's head whipped up and she slowly put her hands to her side where her knives were and stood up straighter before standing. Jessica stood in the doorway and looked at Luna's hand that was posed to throw the knife. "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. Helian sent a message... it's time." her eyes flicked to her hair. "Want me to help you change and then do your hair.?" Luna looked at her and then went to the mirror. Her hair was tousled from pulling on it.

"Sure." Jessica came into the room and Luna's grip on the handle of her dagger loosened and she put it back in its spot at her waist. She watched Jessica fix her hair, she would change into the dress in a bit but her hair would need time to set in place so that it didn't come undone later. Once she was done Luna turned to her. Jessica watched her. "Thank you..." she whispered. The other woman smiled and hugged her, startled Luna hugged her back. "You're welcome, I don't know what you are going to do but be safe, I know, as a mother, that any mother would be worried about what their child was doing." Luna smiled at her, memories of her own mother came into her head. "She doesn't even know that I am here, or what I am about to do." she whispered the confession, unsure what to think.

Jessica smiled. "She would be proud of you, just like I am." she said and kissed her cheek. Luna smiled and stood, stealing her courage. Jessica said to her followed her and strengthened her walls as she went down the hall and out into the night.