Chapter 36

From that day onwards, the kingdom that once was blessed with peace and prosperity slowly began to fall into the chaos of disaster. Its pillars were being nullified from within and they were oblivious to the destructor that was playing right under their nose.

People were being killed every other day. These incidents buried horror in people's hearts deep within and like a plague that spread through the kingdom, they would lock themselves in their houses as soon as the night fury shadowed over the kingdom.

The streets that used to bustle in the night, when people used to gather outside their houses to chitter chatter were now all indulged in eerie silence and all of that happened in just a month.

It was like a curse was eating them.

Sasha walked out of the restroom after a bath and settled down on the edge of the bed with much difficulty, staring at the wall. They were trying their best but they just couldn't find the murderer.

She almost caught him though.

She let her bathrobe slip as she hesitantly put her hand on the side of her bruised waist. A long and fresh cut was stitched together, tracing a scar behind. It happened eight days ago when she was roaming in the city at night, trying to find the killer and she was attacked from behind with a dagger.

Before she knew it, she was on the ground.

It all happened in a time span of seconds. 

Faster than even her mind could process.

That made her shiver because only vampires could have that kind of speed, no normal human who was just copying the killing process could possess such power.

This situation was making her more perplexed.

Why didn't he suck her blood?

Why were his movements so hesitant that he went for the waist and not the neck or heart?

Why did he leave the dagger behind?

Her eyes moved towards the table on which the dagger was placed. It had a zig-zag shape that inflicted the pain much harsher than a normal dagger. It made a scream tear through her lips and left her numb with pain.

The moment she touched the ground with the dagger still inside her, that was the moment she realized she was failing miserably in her role.

She wasn't supposed to get injured.

This would terrify her people more and they might turn their back against her.

She put gel on her wound and once she was done, she put on her clothes and decided to check on her sister-in-law because she was having a hard time during her pregnancy.

Once she stepped out of her room, her eyes snapped to the right. Her heart almost leaped to her mouth and her pupils dilated as she abruptly stepped back upon seeing someone standing right beside her door.

But her heartbeat instantly calmed down when she saw who it was.

"Luan." She breathed.

This powerful youth beside her was now working as her guard ever since she got hurt. How did things get this far with him? He was supposed to leave once he was healed. 

But he didn't.

Until now he only remembered what his name was. The only reason for still keeping him here was his inhumane strength and his great fighting skills. He didn't remember who he was. He told them that he would help them to find the killer as he also gained his memories in the process.