chapter sixteen.

excuse any mistakes.

𝐌𝐢𝐞𝐤𝐞 𝐂𝐚𝐩𝐫𝐢 𝐃𝐚𝐥𝐭𝐨𝐧
𝙲𝙾𝙻𝚃𝚂 𝙽𝙴𝙲𝙺, 𝙽𝙹.

"So, you haven't talked since then?" Charlotte inquired as she spoke to Mieke on the phone.

Their attempt to stay in touch, with plans to talk every week, fell through. They hadn't spoken since the day before she hung out with Malik, which was nearly a month ago.

"Yeah, and I'm not bothered by it," Mieke shrugged, glancing down at her notes. "I can't pretend like I don't get where he's coming from. When he asked for my number, it wasn't just for friendship. So, my wanting to keep it strictly platonic, that's rejecting him. I wouldn't be able to be friends with someone who rejected me. I'm kind of sad I gotta actually find a trainer."

"Get your boo to train you," Charlotte suggested, and Mieke furrowed her eyebrows, a smile creeping onto her face. "You're smiling!"

"Lottie shut up." Mieke chuckled.

"Have you heard from him?" Charlotte asked.

Charlotte remained unaware of the actual circumstances surrounding Mieke and Keanu's breakup. Mieke wasn't ready to share the details with her, so she simply informed Charlotte that she had misread something about their breakup which technically wasn't a lie. She kept the conversation honest about everything else.

"Yeah. We talk everyday or whatever." Mieke mused, her thoughts drifting towards Keanu.

Since their dinner at the restaurant, they've been texting each other every day and whenever possible, they would talk on the phone.

"Does it feel weird? Stop sparing the details and tell me. Wannabe private ass bitch."

"I'm not holding back any details," Mieke chuckled. "There's just nothing much to tell. It does feel weird, though. Everything feels different and new. There are so many things that have changed since the last time we dated, but that's understandable because we're older and more mature now. I can't wait to get more accustomed to this because every time we talk, I get this weird feeling in my stomach. And no, it's not butterflies—those I get from him, but this feeling is different. It's weird; it makes me want to just stop talking to him altogether."

"How's the feeling like?" Charlotte asked.

"My gut is doing backflips. An uneasy feeling. I remember feeling that way when Keanu and I first started talking and as we got more comfortable, that feeling faded away. That's why I said I can't wait until I'm more accustomed with this because I know it's gonna go away."

"I remember that! You were ready to break up with him, and I had to talk you down and explain how almost everyone feels that way when they're starting a new relationship."

"I don't even remember that. Okay, Miss memory keeper. Fuck I thought?" Mieke scrunched her face up, and Charlotte chuckled. Before Mieke could say something else, her office phone started ringing. She answered, "Hello?"

"Girl, you got an edible arrangement that just delivered here for you." Kianti stated.

"Ooh." Charlotte murmured lowly.

"I'm coming," Mieke said before placing the phone down. "Not he got me an edible arrangement. I just saw a TikTok of this girls boyfriend sending her one to work too."