Chapter 4

"A charity dinner?" Gia asked as he put his tea cup back to the saucer.

The lady in front of him nodded her head a few times. "It's organized by my mother. Shall we go together?"

"Miss Lassham, I'm afraid I am quite busy lately..."

"Oh, it's the weekend, Serogia. You should relax a little bit. And please, just call me Agnes." Agnes Lassham smiled prettily at him.

They were both sitting at the lounge inside a hotel arranged by his grandfather's secretary. Gia had come to meet his marriage prospect as promised. The conversation had just moved on from their short self-introduction when the minister's daughter invited him to a dinner party.

"But..." Gia tried to decline again.

"My parents are eager to meet you. You won't disappoint them, will you?" Agnes smiled again, which made Gia rather uncomfortable.

"Right. I... will be there." He gave up. Gia knew his grandfather would send him in his place to attend the dinner even if he refused now.

Agnes clapped her hands together looking excited. "Great. I can't wait to see you next weekend." She smiled and slurped her fresh strawberry juice happily.

***

"Brother?" Agata asked. Her eyes were on the vending machine's screen as her fingers rolled for drink options. She was aware of the impatient gaze from her companion. "Hmm what should I get..."

Sera nodded excitedly. "Remember when I told you a chance to meet Gia may come up? Well, it looks like the time has come, but we'll need a little help from my brother."

Agata turned her head at the mention of Gia's name. "What...?"

Sera grinned. "I have a plan. Do you have time this weekend?"

Agata nodded. "Why?" Her attention was now divided for both Sera and the vending machine.

"I'll explain soon... oh, come on, just pick whatever drink." She carelessly punched one of the digital buttons on the screen and a loud sound of can clanking inside the machine soon followed. Sera picked up the canned drink and shoved it to Agata. "Let's find somewhere quiet."

Agata looked at the drink in her hand. Strawberry juice with a 'Enhanced recipe! Now with real strawberry juice inside (0.9%)' label on top. She frowned. "But I don't want this..."

***

"Do you really think this is a good idea?" Jean asked. His sister was on the other side of the phone.

"You don't think so?"

"Gia is now a public figure, you know? Umm well... sort of. And we don't know much about this Agata girl. If she is really who she said she is..."

"But it doesn't look like she is lying... and she has evidence that she knew him."

"I know, sis. The photo. The boy in the photo looks so much like Gia – but when I think about it, with the technology we have these days, it's not difficult to come up with something like that. Anyway, Gia will probably ask me to accompany him to the dinner if his grandfather... oh..." Jean noticed a message came in. It was from his best friend.

"What's wrong?"

"I was messaging him about the charity dinner. It looks like he has a partner already. His charming secretary, probably." Jean typed a reply while talking. "Looks like I need to find someone else to go with. Dad isn't attending. He is away this weekend."

Jean could hear his sister giggling. "So it's decided then. The Lassham invited Alex too, so I'm going as well." Alex Graham was his brother-in-law.

Jean thought about it for a while. "Just one thing..."

"What is it?"

"That girl, Agata... is she pretty?"

***

Agata reread the last message from Sera. She could not believe this day would come. After numerous attempts just to catch a glimpse of him.

[Good News, Agata!! It's confirmed that Gia is attending the dinner! I've talked with Jean (my brother, in case you forgot) and he has agreed to bring you as his partner! I'll be there too <3]

She jumped on her bed out of excitement. Finally! Finally, she got to see him! His Gia... and then the excitement died down. Right... Gia suffered from amnesia. He probably would not recognize her even when he saw her. Agata let her body sunk into the bed. What should she do if he could not remember her? There were a lot of things she wanted to ask. Why did they leave her alone? Where were her parents? It had been 18 years and she had not given up. She could still remember vividly the day when they left and never came back, although the few days after that was blurry. She waited and waited. Each day getting harder to not lose hope. Her six-year-old body was soon tired from crying. And before she understood what was happening, someone from the social services came to pick her up and left her in an orphanage.

Agata read the message again. She realized she had not replied the message. She quickly typed a reply and tap Send. Sera texted back almost immediately.

[I can't promise anything but I'll try creating some time for you and Gia <3]

Agata was touched. She thanked Sera for the help and promised to treat her a meal later.

This weekend...

Agata shook her head. It's okay. It's okay. She kept telling herself. Everything will be alright. If worse came to worst, she would just go back being alone which by now, she was kind of used to it.