Chapter 37

Gia sat on his bed with work documents in his hand but his mind was elsewhere. He tried to study the presentation summary again but nothing went through his head. His eyes traveled around. His spacious bedroom, the well-tended garden he could see from the tall windows, the kind and efficient staff, the warm food – he leaned back as he counted what he had as a Dignita. For 18 years, this household had sheltered him, loved him and now he might have to part with them soon for the genuine owner was here now. He looked again at the documents in his hand. He had only intended to help Leo with his business to repay his debt for everything he had done for him. Gia had never imagined Leo would choose him as his heir for he was certain the old man despised him, for posing as his grandson when he was not.

He closed his eyes. "Mrs. Fores... what should I do?"

"You are a strong kid, Gia." Dara stroked his hair as she spoke. Her eyes would sometimes glance at Agata who was napping behind them.

Gia looked at her puzzlingly.

The lady giggled and pulled him in for a hug. "Do you ever hate your father?"

Gia bit his lip and lightly nodded. "Sometimes, when he is angry."

Dara released him and turned back, facing their front gate. "Me too."

"You have father?" Gia asked.

Dara laughed. "Of course I do."

"Where is he?"

Dara stretched her arms. "Somewhere far away from here."

Gia did not know what to say next. He just sat there on the porch enjoying the cool breeze.

"My father is a scary man too. Always busy. Always angry. The only thing he cares about is his business. And he has lots and lots of rules." She paused. "But he never lay his hand on me... kind of."

"Why do you hate him?" Gia thought about his drunkard father who had a habit of breaking things and beating him when things did not go his way.

Dara was taken aback. She laughed again but her eyes were sad. "He hates my child."

"Agata?"

Dara shook her head. "No. Agata's big brother. He was not here anymore. He died before he could see the world. My first child." Tears were rolling down her cheeks but she did not look she was aware of it.

Gia twisted his fingers, wondering if he should go and fetch a tissue box from the kitchen. He knew where it was.

"He should be around your age if he was alive. You two could have been friends." She smiled.

"Are you still angry at your father? Do you miss him?"

Dara did not answer. Her dark blue eyes were still clouded with tears.

"I like that you are here with me, Mrs. Fores. You, Agata and Mr. Fores." Gia tried to comfort her.

Dara hugged him again and cried. Her warm tears wetted his shirt.

***

"Suicide...? But I thought..." Amaria almost could not believe what she just heard.

Jean nodded. He rested his head sideways on her shoulder for support.

"Even my sister doesn't know about this. Probably only father, Egbert and I know, and now you too."

Jean held her hand and interlaced their fingers.

"My mother wasn't a happy wife. She did love having us, her children, but I guess we were not enough for her." He muttered. His eyes closed.

The surrounding was quiet. There was no one in the room besides them. Jean had closed the rooftop bar he owned at the capital's highest building for the evening. The night view was breathtakingly beautiful but Amaria could not enjoy it at the moment. She could not imagine what the then 16-year-old Jean had felt when he found out his mother had committed suicide on his birthday.

She turned and put her arms around his body and snuggled closed to him.

"What's wrong?" Jean asked.

Amaria shook her head.

"My chest does feel comfortable, doesn't it?" He teased her.

"Don't get too cocky." She warned him.

He lowered his head and kissed her cheek and then down to her neck, sending shockwave-like sensation to her body. How he missed her being this close to him. Her perfume and her flowery shampoo scent filled his nose. He put his arms around her held her tightly.

"Depression." Jean muttered.

"What?"

"My mother. She wanted something she could never have, for years... until she died."

Amaria did not quite follow.

Jean smiled at her and stroked her hair lovingly. "My father's love."

"Oh..." Amaria did not know how she should respond.

"Their marriage was arranged by their families. My mom loved my dad with all her heart, and would do anything to please him, but he never once returned her affection. For him, my mom, my sister and I are all just part of his duty as the head of the family."

Jean sighed. "He loves someone else and mom knew about it from the beginning."

"That's... sad. If only we all could be with the person we love..."

"What? You mean you are okay if I wasn't born??"

"Where did that come from?? Please stop drawing stupid conclusion. You know that's not what I mean!" Amaria was appalled by his accusing tone.

Jean chuckled and took her hand. He gently rubbed her fingers and kissed them. "You haven't given me answer."

"What?"

"Do you still love me?"

"What if I say I don't?" Amaria asked.

"I'll stay single for the rest of my life, fooling around until I grow old and die alone without anyone by my side."

"Is that a threat?"

"What I am saying is that I won't bind anyone with a marriage only to make them live a life like my mother's."

Amaria pinched the hem of his sleeve and mumbled softly. "Just know that I won't let you die alone."

His finger lifted her chin. Smiling handsomely, he whispered to her ear. "So, why don't you love me until I die?"

His way of talking brought a smile to her red lips. She kissed him on the lips and she could feel warmth quickly spread across her body. Jean responded by attacking her back hungrily.

"Aren't you being too hasty?" Amaria cupped his face when their lips parted. The strong, defined jawline felt nice on her palms.

"Just trying to makeup for the time we have lost." He flashed his boyish smile and kissed her again.