Chapter 7

Things were not going the way he had planned. Gia lowered his gaze. It had been more than ten minutes since Jean and Sera left them alone and the other person had not let him go. He gently placed his hands on her shoulders. Agata... his little Agata...

Agata, sensing his touch, loosened her embrace and looked up. Her whole face was drenched with tears.

"Are you okay?" Gia asked, trying hard not to show too much emotion. He was fighting the urge to hug her – and told her how much he missed her. "Do you want to take a seat there? I'll ask someone to bring you a glass of water." He distanced himself from Agata and turned to the door.

Agata pulled the hem of his sleeve.

"It's me, Agata..." Her eyes were full of hope.

Gia could feel his stomach churned. He took a step back. "Right... I..."

Agata grabbed both his hands and leaned forward. "It's me, Agata! Don't you remember me?"

"I..." He did not know how to respond – as if all the words had left him.

"You... don't...?" Seeing his confused expression, her heart sunk. Her hands slid off, letting his hands go.

Gia averted his eyes. He could not stand watching the look of despair in her eyes.

"Gia...?" Her voice was noticeably shaken, almost pleading.

Gia clenched his hands and took a deep breath. Act indifferent. Just like how he always did in this kind of situation. That was the only way. "Have we met somewhere before?"

She was prepared for this – or she thought she was. But no, his question was like a knife, piercing sharply straight into her heart.

"How could you..." Agata bit her lip. Tears forming in her eyes again.

"Let me go get you some water." Gia suggested, trying to avoid talking too much.

"Why..." Tears pouring down from her eyes and she slid to the floor crying.

Gia panicked and quickly bent down. He hesitated for a moment before stretching out his hand and gently touched Agata's tear-streaked face, unable to say anything.

"I want to know about my parents... My mother...! Where are they??!!" Agata was half shouting. "Tell me, Gia. Where are they?? You were with them! You were with them before you all disappeared 18 years ago!!"

Gia watched her silently. His heart ached.

"Gia?!!" Agata begged.

"I... lost my memories of when I was younger. I'm sorry." He could have said he did not know her or he could pretend to forget about her. Many people forgot about their friends once they grew into adults. It should not be that strange. He did not really have to tell her his amnesia story and created more lies. But Gia did not have the heart to say that to her face. Not what after she went through.

He took her arms and helped her sit on the couch nearby. "Let's... talk."

***

"Car... crash...?" Agata could not believe what she just heard.

Gia nodded. "18 years ago, I woke up with no memories in my head. Not even my name. I could not remember what happened prior to me waking up that day. The doctor told me that I was involved in an accident and the shock may have affected my memories."

"What about my parents?? I was told the three of you left together. Were you with them at the time of the..."

Gia's face darkened. "I don't know."