Chapter 38

Agata stared at the photo on her hand. A picture of her and children from the orphanage that Gia had secretly taken out from her room that night. Gia decided to return it to her in the end. She carefully hung it back on the wall and nodded her head in satisfaction. It was late in the evening but she did not feel like sleeping just yet. She headed to the kitchen, thinking a cup of warm milk might help. Her intercom rang as she walked past the living room.

"Who..." Agata pressed a button and the screen attached to the device came to life. Her eyes widened the moment she saw the image displayed.

"Gia!!" She rushed out of the building and ran after a figure who was walking away. The man did not seem to hear her. What? Did the cold wind block his ears??

"GIA!! Wait!!!" She called again while running in her indoor slippers. Her voice clearer and louder.

Gia turned. A surprised look on his face. "Agata...?"

Agata raised her hand to correct her breath and then looked up. "What the hell?! You just walked away after pressing the bell? What are you doing?? Playing ding dong dashed?"

Gia looked flustered like he did not expect to see Agata there. He scratched his neck and laughed awkwardly.

"What's so funny?" Agata frowned at him.

He took off his coat and put it over her shoulder. "Why are you wearing so thin? It's cold outside."

"Because you don't give me time to change??" Agata retorted. "Why are you here?"

Crease formed in between his eyebrows. "I was taking a walk."

"A walk?? From your house?? At this hour? Anyway, let's talk inside." Agata offered although her hand was already pulling his.

Gia did not move. He just shook his head and smiled. "No. It's okay. I am going back."

"You are so strange... oohh... Aaachoo...!!" Agata sneezed.

Gia rubbed her red nose. "You should go back and sleep."

"No."

"You will catch a cold, Agata." Gia buttoned the coat for her.

"Then tell me why you are here. I am not a kid! You don't just take a random walk from your house at this hour to come here!"

Agata watched him looking at her with pursed lips. It was the same expression he always had on his face in the past. He looked like he wanted to cry.

"Why are you looking at me like that? What happened...?"

Gia lowered his gaze and said nothing.

"Is it your grandfather?"

Gia looked up.

Agata clenched her fist. "It's him, isn't it? That old man is bullying you again? Ordering you around without thinking of your feeling?!"

"Wha... what? No!"

Agata grabbed his hand. "Come, let's go meet your grandfather! You can leave it to me! I can help you..."

"Hold... hold on!!" Gia stopped her.

"What?"

"It's not... my grandpa... urm... maybe it is but it isn't..."

"What are you mumbling about?"

Gia noticed her unkempt hair and combed them with his fingers.

"This is not the time to brush my hair."

He smiled and looked at her in the eyes, which made Agata a little nervous.

"Listen well, Agata." He began. "I may not come and see you like this again in the future, but know that whatever happens, I am always on your side."

"What do you mean?" Agata did not like where the conversation was going but Gia just smiled sadly.

"Why are you talking like you are going to disappear again? But I just found you. Where are you going?" Her face turned pale. Tears were forming in her worried eyes. She tightened her grip on him.

Gia wiped the tears and hugged her. "Don't cry."

But his words made her tears pouring all over. "You are a bad person." She punched his chest. "Why treated me so well when you did not mean it at all... I thought I have found you... I thought even if you don't remember me, we can still..." Agata paused. Still what? They were just childhood friends. What was she hoping? Gia's coming today was probably to draw a line between them. He was getting married after all. All of a sudden, Agata felt ashamed of herself. She was acting like a child when denied a toy that was not hers to begin with.

"You are right, Agata. I am a bad person." Gia agreed with a weak voice.

"Don't agree to it!"

Gia repeated slowly. "I am... a very, very bad person..." His thumb wiped the tears from her face and pressed his lips on hers.

Maybe it was the cold weather that made Agata sought warmth, or maybe she had gone crazy but at the moment, she knew she did not mind the kiss. She knew what they did was wrong but she did not care. Agata closed her eyes and kissed him back.

***

"Mr. Glenn invited you to his restaurant again. Should I add it before or after your check-up tomorrow?" Leo's secretary asked while looking at the digital planner on his phone.

Leo chuckled. "That lonely old man."

His secretary pressed his lips together and smiled politely to prevent himself from making inappropriate remark.

"After. It would be better to go early and be done with it."

"Let's not hurry things. This is your health we are talking about." The secretary reminded him.

"It's just old age and stuff."

His secretary's eyes moved around the room. "...and Mr. Serogia, of course. You are worried about him that it makes you unable to sleep properly lately."

Leo did not respond. The loyal aide smiled.

"I'll prepare things for tomorrow. Good night, Sir." The secretary added and left Leo's private chamber quietly.

"Agata Fores..." Leo mumbled the name absentmindedly. If she was really his daughter's child, what should he do? Should he go find her and tell her that he was her grandfather? A grandfather that abandoned his own daughter, her mother, until her death? Someone who should have been her pillar when she lost her parents but unknowingly left her alone growing up in orphanage without family? Leo refreshed his memory from their meeting. The child looked so much like Dara, and then his thought shifted to his grandson. What should he do with him?