Chapter 39

"Achooo!!"

"Girl, listen to me and get a doctor to prescribe you some medicine before you start spreading viruses here." Her desk mate rolled her chair backward looking worried.

Agata lowered her mask and rubbed her red nose. Her whole face felt warm and her body felt sluggish. The cold from the night before and the embarrassing thoughts that had accumulated since she woke up this morning had worsen her flu.

"You were looking fine yesterday. Whatever happened last night after work?" Her co-worker shook her head and passed her more tissue paper, which Agata gratefully accepted.

Agata's face turned warm. She started clearing her table. "I think I'll take an early leave today. Can you please let the manager know?"

Her friend nodded and reminded her again to visit the doctor.

***

"Sir, there is someone who wanted to see you." Amaria came to his office with a concerned look on her face.

Gia looked up from his document. "A guest?"

"It's Miss Agnes Lassham. I asked her purpose of visit but she won't tell me anything. She said it's important that you meet her on your own."

Gia could rightly guess what this was about. He got up and took the jacket that was hanging by the door and went out to meet his fiancée.

"He suddenly collapsed and I didn't know what to do. So I came here..." Agnes looked agitated as she explained her situation. Apparently, Elega Laggiri had a meeting with the minister's daughter for something Gia did not even want to know and in the middle of their conversation, his father suddenly fell down from his chair and lost consciousness.

"Where is he now?" Gia tried to calm himself down.

"The general hospital near my agency. It's the nearest..."

Gia got up abruptly and left the building without saying anything.

***

"How unusual to see you coming here instead of calling me to your house. Something on your mind?" The doctor asked as he made notes on his writing pad.

"None of your business." Leo groaned.

The doctor laughed. "Good to see you in good spirits. These are your medication, please take them as per previous instruction." His nurse passed the bag to Leo's secretary.

"You should spend more time with your family and old friends, Mr. Dignita, and do consider our advice." The doctor added with a warm smile on his face before Leo left his room.

"He said you are a lonely man too." The secretary looked at his watch. It was almost lunch time.

"He did not say that." Leo refuted.

"Should we go see Mr. Glenn now? I'll go get the car."

Leo nodded and his secretary left to retrieve their vehicle. Leo was left alone in the hospital's waiting hall. There were many visitors sitting nearby and he could hear children crying from his left and right. A young mother was seen cradling her crying baby. She looked exhausted. Did Dara go through things like this too when her child was born, he wondered. Thinking about it... his mind realized something. The baby. The baby his daughter was carrying when she left the house. If he counted right, the baby should be around the same age as Serogia. That meant Agata (if she was indeed his granddaughter) should have a sibling! He had two grandchildren. Where was him, or her then?

A heavy cough halted his strings of thought.

"Excuse me, Sir. May I?" It seemed like he was blocking someone's way. Leo moved to the side to give way and the person nodded her head to thank him.

"Ah, you..." Leo recognized the lady even when half of her face was covered with a mask.

Agata's eyes widened with shock. "Gia's... uhkh.. grandfather...?!" She called with a hoarse voice.

"Are you okay? You don't look well." Leo's heart sunk. The coughing person was probably his granddaughter, and right now she was sick.

"More... ukkh! More than that!!" Agata inched forward, ready to question the old man. She coughed again. "What did you make Gia do again?!!"

"What...?" Leo was confused. She looked like she was angry with him.

Agata coughed heavily. She looked like she was out of breath.

"Don't talk. I'll get the doctor..."

"No need!" She snarled.

"Mr. Dignita! What happened...?" His secretary came running when he saw them.

Leo did not know how to explain. "She is..."

The secretary looked dumbstruck the moment he got a better look at the person in front of her. "How in the world..."

"Let's go home first. She is coming with us, and call Georgia to the main residence." Leo ordered his secretary as he pulled Agata's hand.

"Wait, what?? No!!" Agata struggled to pull her hand out of his grip. The flu had made her lose strength.

"Didn't you have something you want to ask me?" Leo asked.

"Urmm yeah but..." Agata looked conflicted.

"I have things to ask you as well." Leo said without looking at her.

The journey from the hospital to Dignita's main residence went in complete silence. Agata was so nervous, she tried holding her cough during their car ride and ended up coughing nonstop the moment they arrived.

"Come in." Leo invited him to the house. Agata nervously followed him from behind. This is it. It was the chance to ask about Gia's accident, and possibly find out about her parents' disappearance. She could feel her body trembling. She was actually scared about what was coming.

The large wooden door opened and a butler came out to welcome them. It seemed the butler had received an order from the secretary before their arrival.

"Mrs. Georgia will be here shortly. She is already on her way here." He informed the master.

Leo nodded and went inside.

Agata stepped into the house and shuddered. She could see in a glance that the house was fully decorated with carefully chosen luxury looking furniture and received lot of natural light coming from the large glass windows. Despite all that, she felt the house was gloomy and cold. It was too quiet.

"Show her to the living room and prepare something warm for her to drink." Leo instructed the butler. He turned to Agata to show her to the butler only to find her standing straight, staring at a large portrait hanging on the wall near the entrance with her mouth hanging, looking bewildered.

"Young miss..." Leo called.

"Why..." Her voice trembled. "Why is it here...?" Her head slowly turned to Leo. Shocked and confusion registered in her eyes. "What is a portrait of my mother doing here....?"