Chapter 40

"I see. Thank you, doctor."

Gia stepped out of the hospital ward and sat alone in the quiet corridor. From where he was sitting, he could see his father lying on the bed with cables and tubes all over him. The man he once called father looked so old and weak. He doesn't have much time, the doctor had told him. The alcohol and drugs he had consumed over the years had finally taken their toll on his body. He might not wake up again. Gia did not know how to feel. Seeing the father he had hated so much in the past lying helplessly on the bed, did something in his stomach. He felt sick. He looked at the time. There was nothing he could do there. Maybe he should just go home and sleep, and think later. He did not feel like eating anything either. He was not feeling hungry even though he had skipped lunch and it was past dinner time.

He should call Amaria, he thought, knowing that he was not in a good condition to drive on his own. His hand fumbled in his pocket. Seeing the dark screen, he remembered that he had switched the phone off when he came to the hospital. He pressed a button and waited for it to come back to life.

The moment the screen came alive, it rang almost immediately. It was from Mr. Trowell, Leo's secretary. Gia was in no mood to entertain his grandfather but he picked up the call anyway. Before he could say anything, the secretary's voice came through.

"Mr. Serogia? Oh, thank God... where have you been? No, please come to the main residence right away!" The usually calm and collected secretary sounded agitated. He never talked like this before.

"Something happened?" Gia was confused.

"Please just come now and..."

"What is it?"

"Please prepare yourself, young master." And then he ended the call.

Gia's car stopped right in front of the stairs leading to the entrance. He got out of his car and saw Leo's secretary waiting for him on top of the staircase.

"Young master..." It was dark outside but Gia could sense the uneasy tone in the secretary's voice.

"You didn't tell me any details. Did something happen to grandpa? Is he sick?" Gia hastened his steps.

"Please just go inside. Mr. Dignita is waiting." Trowell pushed the door.

Gia took off his coat and handed it to the secretary. Before he stepped further, the secretary held his arm. "Please, whatever he said, please don't make him angry. Mr. Dignita isn't in his best condition lately. Just..."

"Is he here?" Leo's deep voice could be heard from the living room.

Gia turned back to the secretary. He nodded and strode towards where the voice came from.

As he entered the familiar living room, Gia found his grandfather sitting in the middle of the room. What he did not expect was the other figure sitting not far from him. She turned her head the moment he stepped into the room. Gia's heart almost stopped.

"A...gata...?" He muttered.

"Gia..." Agata shook her head. There were tears in her eyes.

"Don't you have something to explain, Serogia?" Leo's voice was full of anger.

"Master... the young master must be tired today... let's leave this for tomo..." Georgia who was also in the room with them tried to ease the tense situation.

"Silence, Georgia. This young man knows what he has been doing all this time." Leo's walking stick made a loud thump to the marbled floor.

"I..." Gia stammered. He did not know how he should explain the situation.