Chapter 43

"I would never think we could find you from her." Jean sat in a chair in the middle of the room, trying to avoid the leaking water from the ceiling.

"Who?" Gia asked, sitting on the bed. His one arm was still holding Agata, who was sleeping with her hands gripping onto his shirt tightly like her life depended on it. Jean thought Gia looked like mother koala.

"Miss Agnes Lassham, your fiancée... or former fiancée, I guess?" Amaria added. She had replaced the plastic tub for a towel.

Gia's eyes widened. "How would she..."

"We learned about your father from her. So the homeless man from before was really..." Jean scratched the back of his head. "Anyway, we went to the hospital but they told us he was no longer a patient there. Checked out a few months ago, by you. They didn't know where you have moved him to but with his condition, we knew he should be in a hospital somewhere in the country. So there goes our work to find Elega Laggiri in every hospital." Jean beamed with pride as he explained their successful quest.

Gia laughed and ruffled his hair, his way of applauding him. "I should have known."

"Are you really not going to come back with us? You know, you don't have to return to the Dignita. I can find you somewhere to live in the city! Your father can get better treatment too!"

Gia shook his head. "Thank you, Jean but I am okay here."

"You are no way okay here, Mr. Dignita... uh I mean..." Amaria wanted to slap her own lips.

Gia smiled. "Is Georgia doing alright? She must be angry." He shifted the topic.

"Rather than angry, mom is crying every day if you want to know." His former secretary crossed her arms. "She did not know yet about you hiding here, looking malnourished. Do you even eat properly?"

"You are right not to tell her, Amaria."

Amaria glanced at sleeping Agata. "What are you going to do about her? She will definitely make a scene here if she finds out you are staying."

"I will not." Agata rubbed her eyes and yawned. "How old do you think I am?"

"You are awake? Sit here. I'll fetch you a glass of water." Gia rose from the bed.

"You really acted like her father." Jean teased him.

"What father? A father doesn't kiss his own grown-up child on the lips so passionately in public and then leave her behind." Agata argued with a grin on her face.

"He WHAT???" Jean turned to Gia who was already looking red up to his ears.

"I didn't know you are that type, Sir..." Amaria covered her mouth with her hand, astounded.

"Since when...?! TELL MEEE!!" Jean begged.

"That's none of your business. And stop talking, Agata. Here, drink this." Gia passed the water to her.

Amaria tugged on Jean's sleeve and pointed to the door with her head. "Let's go out. Let them talk alone."

Jean made a face. "But I want to know..."

"No, you are going out with me." Amaria dragged him out, ignoring his protest.

With the two of them left, the house was quiet once again.

Agata's hands rested on her knees, both forming a fist. Nervous. "So, will you tell me now? Everything, from the very beginning? No more lies."

Gia hesitated for a moment before nodding his head.

"Don't even try making those stupid lies like that day."

Gia smiled and nodded again.

"Where should I start?" He searched through his memories. "Probably that day, when your mother told me about her family... and her situation."

"Georgia had filled me in. Grandpa kicked her out because she got pregnant with my father when she was already engaged to someone else."

Gia was surprised to see her calling Leo grandpa. The way she called him stirred something in his heart. He continued. "It was your older brother, but he died shortly before he was born. Miscarriage."

Agata opened her mouth but closed it again. "I see..." she murmured.

"You remembered my father's rough habit when he drank every time? That day, my father came back home in the morning looking more drunk than ever, shouting at everyone he met and started throwing things at home. I was sick that day but he woke me up and started beating and cursing me. My step mother was not spared either. I thought I was going to die that day."

Agata remembered being scared of the man with the big scar on his face. He was always looking angry.

"Your mother who had just come back from sending you to school probably heard me crying for help and my father's loud voice. Helped by others, she barged in and snatched me from my father's hand. Mind you, I was sick and could not really remember well what they were saying, but I knew your mother was angry with my father. She shouted at him and ran from our house carrying me in her arms."

Gia paused. His body became tense all of a sudden and his throat dry. Agata squeezed his hand.

"It's okay."

Gia nodded and continued. "Your mother repeatedly telling me I would be okay. That my father would never be able to harm me again. She would bring me to someone. Someone she trusted would take good care of me."

"Someone?"

Gia shook his head. "I never knew who this someone was. All this time, I always assume the person in question is her father, your grandfather. Whatever bad things happened between them in the past, I know she actually missed her parents very much."

"But why took you out? You could have stayed with us!"

"My father would never let anyone. And he is still my father. There were only two options for me. His place or the social services. And so, your father suggested to leave right away before my father could do anything."

"And leave me behind??" Agata protested.

"Both your parents probably thought it was unwise to bring a young child like you, so they left you under the school's care."

"I see..."

"We stopped by an inn and I remembered your mother made a call to someone, and another the next day after spending a night there. I didn't know what it was all about but your mother's face turned pale after that. She panicked. Shouting something to your father about you. Asking him to hurry. And we all got back to the car. Your mother was crying at the back seat with me, and I was scared. Your father looked alarmed too. The car was running faster and faster and then..." Gia covered his face. "Your father had a sudden heart attack... and the wheel went out of control."

Agata covered her mouth, unable to let out a sound.

"Your mother immediately threw me out of the car but left behind trying to save your father. I... My mind went blank as I watched the car ran over the railing... and..." Gia stopped. Tears were already pouring from his eyes. "It was all my fault... if only they didn't bring me out that day... they wouldn't have to die... and you would not have to lose them..." He could still remember Dara's last words to him. If something happens to us, please take care of Agata!

Agata did not know what to say. Now she understood why he cried that day. Why Gia cried in his sleep, wishing himself to die. All this time Gia had been blaming himself for her parents' death.

"Don't cry, Gia...it's not your fault. Please don't cry..." Agata was crying herself. She was not sure who these tears were for. Her dead parents, Gia or herself. What she knew right now was she just wanted to hold the man in front her and would do anything to protect him from anyone, even from her own grandfather.