Chapter 25

Gia handed his coat to the butler and walked into the dining room as usual. Upon entering, he saw that his grandfather was already sitting inside, checking out the wine bottle in his hand.

"Grandpa..."

Leo turned his head and advised his grandson to take a seat by nodding his head. A moment later, their meals were brought out and laid before them. The servers left the room as quickly as they came in.

"Serogia." Leo suddenly called him in the middle of their dinner together.

"Yes, grandpa?" Gia looked up. He suddenly noticed that his grandfather looked a little older. Maybe it was the lighting of the old house, or the weary expression on his old face.

Leo put down his cutlery and rested his hands on the table. "I have decided to stop the search of your missing mother."

Gia almost dropped his steak knife.

Leo continued. "It has been 18 years since you came here – and almost 30 years since she went missing. We have heard nothing from her and have found nothing... except you."

Gia did not know what to say. He just stared blankly at the man in front of him.

His grandfather observed him. "You don't seem to be concerned about this."

"I... don't remember anything about her." Gia reached for the water nearby and drank it, avoiding Leo's intimidating gaze.

"You don't, do you?" Leo chuckled. He tilted his wine glass. "That's why... I think it's time for me to give up, to accept that I will never learn the truth..."

By this time, Gia has stopped eating too.

"Do you ever miss your mother...?"

Gia sipped his water again. "I have you... and that is enough."

Leo laughed. "Of course..." His voice gradually getting softer.

Gia felt a sharp pang of guilt. The old man missed his daughter – that much he knew. Leo was just testing him as usual, but for him to declare he would no longer search for his dead daughter, did that mean his grandfather finally give up seeking truth from him?

"You win, Serogia." Leo dabbed his mouth with the napkin. It looked like he was done with his half-eaten dinner.

"What..."

The head of the Dignita family smiled sadly. "Dignita is yours." And he walked out, leaving Gia alone in the room.

***

"What do you want?"

"Your tone sure are different from when you called me last time." Jean smiled smugly.

Amaria ignored his remark and continued walking. Her heels making clicking sounds as she strode along the sidewalk. Jean signaled his loyal chauffeur to stop their car as he unlocked the door.

"Where are you going? Meeting someone? At this hour after work?" Jean tailed her from behind.

"None of your busine... Ouch!" She accidentally twisted her ankle. Jean was quick to grab her arm.

"Why would you wear these kinds of hideous shoes?" He frowned at the heels.

Amaria picked up one of the pair and whimpered as she saw a scratch on its surface. "Ahh... I just bought this... it's not even that high..."

"Where are your usual shoes? Are they here?" Jean snatched a paper bag she was carrying and peeked inside.

"Hey!! What are you doing?"

Jean pulled out a pair of flat shoes from the bag. He remembered seeing her wearing them while working. A pair of glossy black flat shoes with decorative gold studs along the outer lining. Jean frowned as he shoved them to her. "Here. Not cute at all but they are much better than those stupid heels."

Amaria shoved the black shoes back into the paper bag. "None of your business! Leave me alone!" She put her heels back on.

Jean lifted her up and carried her in his arms. Amaria cried in surprise. "What are you doing?!! Put me down!!"

"You said you want to wear them? Sure! Tell me where you are going. I'll carry you there like this."

"Are you crazy??!" She struggled to get off but Jean held her tighter. A few passers-by were seen giggling at them. Amaria quickly hid her face with her hands. "Are you not going to put me down??!!"

Jean looked around and finally put her down on a nearby wooden bench. Before Amaria could do anything, he put one of his arms on her shoulder to block her from stopping him taking off her pointy heels.

"Why would you wear these troublesome shoes? Are you trying to impress someone?" He laughed as he watched her put on the flat shoes unwillingly.

Amaria crossed her arms. "I am meeting my boyfriend."

"Is that so?" Jean chuckled as he threw the heels carelessly into the paper bag.

"I want to look pretty in front of him." She added.

"I bet you do."

"So can you return them to me?" Amaria asked for the bag he was holding.

Jean sneered at her.

"What's so funny? Just give them back to me!" She tried to reach for it.

"Alright. Alright. Here." Instead of handing over the bag, Jean grabbed her arm and pulled her in for a kiss.

Startled by the sudden intimate touch on her lips, she pushed him away and slapped his face.

"What the hell..." Amaria brushed her tinted lips with the back of her shaking hand. "You are the worst...!" She snatched the bag from him and ran away from the place.

Jean stood alone in the middle of passing crowds. He touched his now hurting cheek with his hand and mumbled softly. "I know..."