Chapter 47

"I didn't do anything like that!! You have been suspecting me all these years??" Leo put down his tea cup. "Why would I harm my own grandchild?"

"She seemed to believe you hate their children." Gia explained.

"I was angry at her but the child had nothing to do with that." Leo seemed down again. He had learned that his supposedly first grandchild had died stillborn.

"Is there anyone you can think of? She said she was bringing me to see someone that could help me. I always thought it was you."

Leo looked dejected. The fact that his daughter did not go to him when she was in trouble made him sad. He went silent for a moment and then he thought of someone.

"Eric..."

"Uncle Eric?"

"He was once Dara's fiancé and her best friend. He even helped her leaving the city that day. Dara must have called him. It had to be him."

"But he doesn't seem like..."

Leo pressed the bell to call his secretary. "Call Eric. Tell him I want to see him."

"Grandpa..."

"I will find out who did this to my daughter."

"A call from Dara?" Eric Crown asked. "No, I've never received any news after she went missing."

"Do you have anyone else in your mind? Someone other than you that was close to her? Someone from the university? Your friends?" Leo asked. A few days of rest and reconciliation with Gia had done well to his overall health.

"I can't point anyone whom Dara would look for in this situation besides us. Have you looked into Alistair's relatives? How about Mrs. Georgia? Wasn't she close to her?"

"I have asked her but no. It doesn't look like she has any clue either."

"I'll try asking around our mutual friends. Someone might now. But it has been more than 18 years, I suggest you don't get your hopes up." Eric rose from his seat.

"Thank you, Eric. I appreciate that." Leo smiled.

Eric looked taken aback. "Sure."

"Gia... I mean, Agata's mother?" Jean asked when he saw his father sitting alone in his office, looking like he was in deep thoughts.

"Leo believed she was under a threat or some sort that day and he was trying to find out who did that." Eric loosened his tie, his fingers carelessly flipped through the documents scattered on his desk.

"I see..." Jean stood there thinking. The two of them went silent for a while.

"Want me to bring your dinner here?" Jean offered.

Eric looked up. "That's kind of you. Yes, please. Thank you."

"I don't need flattery from men."

Eric laughed. "Your girlfriend. She is that girl, isn't she?"

Jean nodded.

"She must have a heart of gold to forgive you. Take good care of her."

"I don't need you to tell me."

"What did you do to win her back?" His father smiled. He looked curious to know.

Jean shrugged his shoulders. "She just... loves me." He grinned and then closed the door.

Jean went back to his room after dinner. He saw he had missed calls from Amaria and quickly called back.

"Did you just return from a dinner with some girls?" He could hear her annoyed tone and could not hide his smile.

"I just had dinner with my dad. Miss me?"

"As if! My boss has returned and there are tons of work to do." She paused. "I'm just a little tired."

"So you called to hear my voice. That's lovely to hear." Jean chuckled.

Amaria ignored his shameless talk. "Will you come and tell your friend to let me off?"

Jean laughed. "Agata would be the right person to do that. How about a lunch date with me tomorrow? I'll treat you whatever you like."

He could hear Amaria's excitement behind her angry voice. "Alright. I'll pick you from your office tomorrow. Good night."

Jean put down his phone. His mind returned to what his father said. He slid open the wardrobe door in his changing room and pulled out the cardboard box where he stowed Amaria's handkerchief from before. He just remembered that it was still there. He searched through the box for something and after fumbling around for a full minute, he found what he was looking for and brought it to his room. A book. He had not seen it again since the first time he laid his eyes on it. He sat down on his bed and began turning the pages.

It was almost midnight when he grabbed his phone to call Amaria again.

Amaria picked up his call almost immediately.

"Amaria? Sorry to call you again. Can we move our date for dinner? Yes, yes, yes. I'll let you pick the place." Jean smiled. "Nothing. I just remember that there is somewhere I need to go before that."