Chapter 48

Gia was reading his work documents when he heard a knock on the door.

"Gia?" Agata's head popped out behind the door.

"Agata? What's wrong? Come in." Gia put down his paper and walked to the door. All of them were living in the main residence at the moment. As he moved closer, he noticed something Agata brought with her.

"What are you doing?" He asked.

"Can I sleep here?" Agata asked while carrying a white fluffy pillow under her arms.

"You want to swap rooms with me? But this room..." The room he was staying was a plain guest room while Agata's room was her late mother's former bedroom.

"No, not swapping rooms. I just want to sleep here together with you." Agata admitted.

"Look here, Agata. I know you believe in me and know that I won't do anything to you but..."

Agata wanted to say that she actually did not mind if something happened between them but thought Gia would think her shameless and have zero pride if she said it out loud. "I can't?"

"Come here." He led her to the bed. He sat on one side and offered her to sit beside him. Agata shook her head and chose to stand facing him.

"You don't love me?"

Gia took her hands. "On the contrary. When I think how you have spent many years searching for me, someone you only knew when you were still a child, I can't help but thinking if what you feel for me might not be the love I desire from you."

"You doubt my feelings?" Would Gia believe her if she told him he made her heart throbbed like crazy the first time they met as adults?

Gia put his arms around her waist and raised his gaze. "I have loved you since we were young and you will always be the most important thing for me, forever. You don't know how happy I am when I found you again. How often I imagined our meeting would be like when I am ready to appear in your life again. How worried I was that you might have forgotten about me. All my life has always been about you."

Agata bit her lower lip to hold her tears.

"What a cry baby." Gia chuckled.

"Whose fault do you think it is?" Agata cried.

Gia pulled her into his arms and kissed her.

"Wha..."

"Are you certain that it's me that you want?" Gia asked.

"What kind of question is that?! Of course I am!!"

"You don't despise me for taking your place? Deceiving you for years?"

"You did that to protect me."

"You are too trusting."

"Only when it's you." Agata smiled broadly.

"No backing out." He kissed her again.

Agata returned his kiss.

Gia let his body fell back on the bed with Agata still in his arms. "You know... I once tried to run away from this house."

"You did?!"

"It was a few days after I arrived. I thought I should go back to find you. The thought of you crying alone waiting for us was enough to make me want to escape the house. Of course, grandpa and Georgia found me almost immediately. I didn't even have the means to go to Tilrara. Santerra was foreign to me and I was a useless 10-year-old." He chuckled. "Grandpa must have thought I tried to run away from him because he moved me to another house after that incident."