Chapter 12

Agata sat alone in her living room. Her eyes wandered around her apartment. The apartment she received the day she left the orphanage. She remembered the day she was told about the opportunity to attend the country's most prestigious college. An admission letter was addressed to her. Agata Fores. An orphan from a small town, far from the capital.

Six years ago

"Santerra University? For me?" She had asked when director of the orphanage called for her.

"Yes, it was sent this morning. You have passed their exams. Congratulations." The lady behind the desk replied with a big smile on her face.

Agata scratched her hair. "I took the exam because the school made us to. It's not that I can attend it." She knew well there was no way she could afford the school fees and the high living cost in the capital of the country.

"I know what you are thinking but there is no need for you to worry about that. The university has given you a full scholarship and they have arranged a place for you to stay during your study. Everything has been taken care of." The director had assured her.

It was like a dream.

By the end of her academic years, Agata left the university as one of the best graduates. Her hard work and excellent achievement earned her a place at Crown-Graham Tower... and a house. The apartment she had been staying at during her university life was given to her as a graduation gift from one of the educational institution's donors. Agata found it extremely strange as she did not think she had done anything besides focusing on her studies, but felt grateful nonetheless. Maybe it was what rich people do in Santerra, she had thought.

She felt even more grateful now. Who knew her unexpected, one-in a-million-chance move to the capital would bring her closer to her long-lost friend, closer to finding out what happened in the past?

Agata's mind wandered back to her meeting with Jean a few hours ago. Gia is engaged. She bit her lip. Am I the only one who is still stuck in the past? 18 years. She had been looking for clues of her missing parents for 18 years. She had looked at places, inquired every person she met but nothing. No one had ever seen or heard of them. She closed her eyes. Where were they going in the first place? She had tried so hard to remember the day but she always drew a blank. The Gia she met recently did not remember her and he... had moved on, now living with his new life. Agata buried her face into her hands. Would she never know about the truth? Should she let go and move on too?

Wait... Something from the back of her mind came up.

Gia's grandfather. Leo Dignita. She remembered Gia told her how Leo introduced himself as his grandfather when Gia was found on that fateful day. He might know something about the accident. Yes. She should try asking him. Now the problem was... how was she going to see the head of Dignita family?

***

Just what am I doing?

Gia rested his heavy head on his hand. He could hear soft murmuring voices around him. It was only just a few days ago when he promised himself that he would never go anywhere near Agata to avoid raising his grandfather's suspicion. And look where he was now. He had been feeling uneasy after their meeting – and more so, after what he saw from where he was now yesterday.

"More water, Sir?" A voice came from behind.

Gia was startled. A waiter was standing beside him. Her gaze pointed to his empty glass.

"Uh... oh, yeah... please. Thank you."

The waiter poured the drink. "You came here today too. Do you like our coffee?"