Chapter 13

Something bothered Agata. Something Gia said but she could not pinpoint what it was. What was it? Her eyes shifted to where the man was standing now near the door. He had been standing there since they arrived in her house ten minutes ago, studying the lock. Like it was some new curious technology.

"I can tell you it is safe. Probably the safest lock you can find in this country. My college had someone upgraded it for me when I moved here."

Gia looked up. "Oh..."

"I haven't told you. I have been living here since leaving the orphanage..." Agata drew a long breath and smiled sadly. "There are just so many things I want to tell you but there is nothing you can do about it, right?"

Gia strode toward the couch in the living room and sat down. He cleared his throat and spoke in an assuring manner. "I can listen to you if you want."

"I thought we are talking about you?" Gia rose his brow.

They were now sitting face to face in the dining room after having their take away dinner, over two cups of... coffee.

"That's no use talking to someone who doesn't remember anything. What I want to know is can I meet you grandfather, the mighty Mr. Leo Dignita? He may know something. I think we should start from there." Agata retorted confidently.

Gia had seen this coming. "Grandfather is busy. And he isn't the type to entertain something like this."

"But this involves you! His only grandson! How can he not want to meet me? I can tell him what you cannot remember!" Agata insisted.

Gia chuckled. She was still the same Agata he knew. Always making sure she got what she wanted. Never take NO for an answer before putting up a fight.

He shook his head. "You are not the only person requesting to see him, you see. Many had come with various reasons only to be turned away at the front gate."

"Surely it would be different if it comes from you? If his own grandson requested it."

Gia shook his head again. A shadow crossed his face. "Grandpa... doesn't care much about me."

"But..."

"Never mind what I said." He brushed his lips with the back of his hand. He did not mean to say that.

Seeing Gia's dejected face, Agata felt bad for bringing up the subject regarding his grandfather. She recalled what Jean had told her – that Gia and his grandfather were not really close to each other. "I am sorry. I am too engrossed with my own thing. I didn't mean to pressure you." She lowered her head.

For a while there was only silence between them.

"Say, what were you doing in my workplace just now? Were you really looking for me?" Agata changed the subject. She sipped the hot coffee.

Gia cast his eyes down to his untouched coffee. "Coincidence..."

"Not." Agata put down her drink. "Don't lie."

Gia tightened his fist. It would be impossible for him to tell her he missed her, wouldn't it? He just wanted to see how she was doing. He had been doing fine all these years. Keeping a safe distance from her, only knowing her from brief reports he had received for years. As long as she was safe and happy, until the right time comes... He always reminded himself. But he did not feel at ease, not after what Jean told his grandfather a few days ago. He knew Jean was just lying to save him from his grandfather's wrath, but after what he saw yesterday – him and Agata, walking happily out of the Tower together, he began to have doubts. Was Jean serious about it?

Agata sensed Gia's uneasiness. "Gia?"

Lines formed in between his brows. "Agata. There's something I need to tell you."

"What?"

"I'd like to apologize first. It's about the charity dinner from before..." Gia began.

Agata's mouth was left hanging. "I didn't know about that."

"We pulled out the paper as quickly as possible after that," Gia explained.

"No. Not that. I mean about Mr. Crown. Him making up stories like that." She laughed. "It's okay, Gia. You don't have to apologize for something like that. He is only doing that as your friend."

Gia looked displeased. It was a relief that Agata was not angry about it but why did he feel annoyed at her easy acceptance?

Agata leaned back. "Looks like he is a decent guy after all. I don't like him at first but I find him quite easy to talk to after a while."

"Jean is my friend but he isn't someone with a good reputation when it comes to romantic relationship. I don't know what your relationship with him is but..."

"His sister is very kind to me too." Agata smiled warmly at the thought of Sera Graham.

Gia was about to speak again before Agata cut him. "I heard you are engaged?"

Gia was dumbstruck. Whatever he wanted to say a moment ago, he swallowed it back.

"Jean told you?"

Agata nodded.

"It's... my job." A deep crease was formed in between his brows.

She could sense his reluctance. What does he mean it's his job to be engaged??

"She is beautiful and urm..." Agata scratched her hair, not knowing what to say next. Snobbish... is the word she would like to add but she thought it was not a nice way to describe someone else's fiancée.

"Right...," he murmured absentmindedly. Another silence followed.

"It's quite late. I must have taken your time." Agata rose from her chair, picking up her empty cup and walked to the sink behind her.

"I wanted to see you." Gia blurted out.

Agata turned to him. "What?"

"You asked me why I was at the Tower today..."

"You wanted to see me? Do you miss me?" Agata grinned.

Gia's face turned red. He averted his eyes. Seeing his reaction, Agata was taken aback. She was just joking. She did not expect to see him like this.

"Wha... what the hell are you getting embarrassed for??! No way, are you serious??!!" She could feel her face getting hot herself.

"I am going home." Gia got up abruptly and walked to the door.

"Wait, Gia!" Agata followed him hurriedly. She managed to catch his hand before he unlocked the front door.

Gia did not turn. He closed his eyes and drew a heavy sigh. "I'm sorry. I don't know what I was saying. Forget it."

Agata hugged him from behind, which made Gia jumped.

"Wha... what are you doing??"

She rested her head on his back. "I miss you too, Gia. I miss you A LOT. More than you can ever imagine."

Gia sunk his fingers into his palm, holding them tightly. "Is that so..."

He could feel Agata nodded from the movement on his back. Her hug tightened around him.

He spun around and lowered his head, slowly cupping her face with his hands. Agata did not move and just stared at the dark lonely pair of eyes in front her. Their foreheads were now touching each other and she could feel her face getting warmer.

Agata instinctively knew what would come next, for Gia never forgot their 'spell' before he left her house every evening years ago.

Gia closed his eyes and murmured softly in her ears. "Sweet dream, Agata."