Chapter 33

"But how did you..."

The flash of memory furrowed her brow. "I am not blind. Your car light was blinding but I knew who was behind the wheel. I could never mistake my boyfriend for anyone else."

For a moment, Jean lost his ability to think. There were too many things in his head. Of course, she hated him. She knew he was a trash from the beginning. A coward who did not dare to admit his crime. Running away from his responsibility and letting others took the blame. She knew that from the beginning.

Seeing his blank expression, Amaria stopped making fun of him. "It's in the past. No use fretting over it."

"Why didn't you say anything?" His asked with shaky voice.

Amaria did not answer. She just watched him silently.

"Why? You could have blamed me for everything, for taking your future, for making you carry those scars for the rest of your life! Why didn't you do that?" There were tears in his eyes but he did not seem to be aware of that.

Amaria took a seat beside him. Jean looked at her puzzlingly.

"You lost your mother that day..." Amaria said softly.

Jean continued staring at her in disbelief. She drew her legs closer and hugged her knees. The faded scar on her left leg caught his eyes and he turned his face the other way.

"It is not an excuse..."

"Still, I loved you."

Jean's eyes widened. He did not expect a past love confession.

"You may not believe me but my feelings for you was strong enough to make me forget about my own problem. Seeing you hurting hurt me more."

He shook his head. "I don't deserve you... and your love."

"Is that why you broke up with me?" Amaria asked.

Jean did not answer. He avoided meeting her inquisitive eyes. Amaria smiled and held out her hand.

"What?" He asked.

"Now that everything is clear, should we end things properly?"

He turned his head, looking clueless about what Amaria was doing.

"I'll say it again. Don't blame yourself over the accident again. I have never blamed you about that." Amaria assured him and took both his hands.

Tears rolling down his cheeks as he sat there and listened. Her words had made him choked on his own tears.

Amaria wiped his tears and stroke his now short hair. "Aren't you going to say something to me?"

Jean looked at the woman in front him, with a genuine smile that he had not seen for years.

"You don't despise me? You are... not angry with me anymore?" The words left his lips before he could think further.

Amaria moved her hand to his tear-streak face and pinched his cheek hard.

"Ou... ouccchh!" Jean cried. "What was that for?" He asked as he stroked his red cheek.

She crossed her arms and glowered at him. "Your shitty break up text still irked me to this day. I was beyond disgusted when I saw it I did not bother to ask you why. Don't think I'll ever forgive you for that."

'Let's break up.' over a text was indeed the shittiest thing a person could do to their lover a week after making them unable to walk properly for months. How Amaria could still sit with him alone in the same room without killing a coward like him was unthinkable.