Chapter 15

"Jean baby, are you not going to stay longer?" A woman linked her arm around Jean's as she looked at him coquettishly.

Jean grinned. "Not today, sweetheart. I've got something else to do after this." He drank the last drop of his chilled alcohol and picked up his clothes from the floor.

The woman pouted. "Promise you'll text me later?"

"Of course." He buttoned his shirt and kissed her cheek.

"You can call me if you need, you know... someone to talk to again."

"Sure. You've been most helpful." Jean smiled. He walked to the door and waved goodbye to the woman who was still on the bed. "See you around."

He walked out of the hotel and noticed something inside his jacket's pocket. He took it out. A paper torn from the hotel notepad with a phone number written on it, and signed with many hearts.

"Cute," he mumbled and then crumpled it and tossed it to a nearby trash can.

His phone rang.

"Yes, my dear Egbert?"

"Young master, where are you now?" His loyal chauffeur's firm but worried voice could be heard from the other side of the call.

Jean looked around. "I... don't know?"

"Did you drink... again? The master won't be happy..."

"Shut up, Egbert." Jean snapped at him.

"Can you please tell me where you are now? I will come pick you..."

"I TOLD YOU NOT TO TREAT ME LIKE A CHILD!!" Jean almost smashed his phone when a hand stopped his arm and snatched the device from him.

"We are in front of..." The person paused and looked around. "Santerra City Hall. Right in front of the fountain, Sir."

Jean could hear Egbert murmured a gratitude and both ended the call.

The newcomer shoved the phone back to Jean, half throwing it. Jean studied her expression. Angry? Disgusted? Heh. He laughed at himself. He looked pathetic. A drunk man shouting at an old man for worrying about him. He slowly walked to the fountain and sat on the side of the giant concrete pond. The woman followed suit and sat beside him without saying anything. Her eyes looking straight to the busy road in front, waiting for something.

Jean called out to her but there was no response. Must be the noise from the fountain behind them, he thought. He reached for her shoulder but his sudden approach startled her, and so with a light sweep of her hand, drunk Jean lost his balance and fell into the pond.

***

"You are in a mess, young master." Egbert frowned at Jean, who was fastening the last button of his new shirt. The latter did not say anything. He tied his long hair loosely into a small ponytail on the back, ignoring the water trickling down his neck.

They heard the front door opened and closed, followed by footsteps treading lightly on the marble floor. A figure appeared before them.

"Young miss, it appears we have troubled you again." Egbert lowered his head apologetically.

"Efficient as ever, aren't you, Miss secretary?" Jean grinned but his eyes were not.

Amaria pushed a folder to Egbert. "The bills. Please make sure to pay them back to Mr. Dignita. Well then." She spun around and walked back to the entrance.

"Amaria!" Jean called.

The secretary turned. Her eyes were steely.

Jean bit his lower lip. He shook his head slowly, his expression almost looked hurt. "Thank you, and... travel back... safely."

Amaria waited for a moment before nodding her head and left.

Egbert who had been watching by the side took liberty to take out the paper from the folder he just received and studied them. Hotel bill and clothing receipts. Of course, she got his favourite designer brand... and the right size too.

***

Jean stared at the neatly folded handkerchief which was sitting on his lamp table beside his bed. He was completely sober now, probably since he fell down into the water hours ago. Amaria's arm quickly grabbed his. After giving him a few slaps in the face to wake him up, the same hand had gently wiped his face with the white handkerchief.

What the hell... Jean buried his face into the pillow. The sight of Amaria's worried face gave him butterflies. He wanted to throw away this feeling. Jean hated it, but deep down he knew he craved for her attention. He turned his body and lay on his back. The house was quiet, like always. Ever since his sister got married and moved out, the house felt even quieter. His father was rarely at home. He spent most of his time either engrossed in his work at the Tower or God knows where else. Nobody really knew, or cared what he did so it had been sometime since someone shouted at him, out of concern.

"Jean!!!" Amaria had called his name unconsciously. "Are you an idiot?! How long are you going to keep wasting your life like this??!!"

Jean smiled. Despite being shouted at, it felt nice. She still cared about him. No. What was he thinking? He should not feel like this. He could not. Not Amaria. His friend was right. Amaria was too good for a trash like him.

He got up and took the handkerchief with him, striding to the nearest dustbin. I should just throw this away.

Jean hesitated for a second in front of the dustbin before stepping back and turned toward his changing room. He moved one of the sliding doors of the wardrobe and there, tucked in the corner most wall, a cardboard box was sitting in the dark. He pulled it out and opened the flaps. It was only half filled. He placed the folded handkerchief inside along with the other stuff and closed the box, pushed it back to where it was and slid the door close.