Chapter 50

"You okay?" Gia patted Jean back. The two of them were still sitting inside Leo's office while Leo had left earlier to rest.

Jean nodded weakly.

"You know I can give Amaria a day off today if you need her." Gia tried to cheer him up. Jean had since told him about his relationship with Amaria.

Jean laughed and hugged his best friend. "Have I told you before that I love you the most?"

"I'm sorry. I never noticed you were in pain." Gia apologized. He was ashamed for being too engrossed with himself all this time and did not notice his close friend was suffering beside him.

Jean flipped open the diary again and showed Gia the last entry of the book.

(I almost lost my mind when I saw him again. Here! In my house! Her son. He survived but he did not seem to recognize me. He smiled when he saw me and looking sad every time he saw Eric holding Jean tenderly. What have I done to a child? Leaving him without parents at such young age. I wanted to cry and hug him, but what right do I have? I kept imagining if it happened to Sera and Jean. I am sorry. I am so so sorry.)

"This must be about you. She must have thought you are Dara's son." Jean muttered and then closed the book. He gave it to Gia. "You can have it."

"Why are you giving it to me?" Gia raised his brows.

Jean did not answer.

Gia ruffled Jean's hair. "It's not your fault." He took the book from him and slowly lighted it up with a lighter from the table.

"What... what are you doing??!!" Jean tried to save the book but the flame had slowly burned through the pages.

"Let's leave everything here. Let's move on. I'm sure grandfather would agree."

***

"I see..." Leo nodded.

"It's not that we can do anything about it. The late Mrs. Crown didn't clearly mention anyone in her diary for us to confirm her writing and both were no longer in this world. I thought it'd best to leave it alone."

Leo smiled. "You are right." His eyes stared straight into the garden behind the glass window of the hospital. "The thought of losing Agata must have scared Dara a lot after losing her first child."

Both of them did not say anything for a while.

"Are you going to tell Agata?" Leo asked.

Gia considered it for a moment. "No, not now but I will someday, when her heart is ready."

Leo turned and looked at him warmly. He stroked his grandson's head. "When I think about the possibility that I would have never met you if all these didn't happen..."

Gia smiled regretfully.

"His mother must have had a hard life... married, and being in love with someone who never loved her."

"Your daughter was happy. I am forever indebted to her kindness."

Leo nodded his head a few times. Gia could see tears gathering in his eyes.

"I have talked to Minister Lassham about your engagement with his daughter. We have agreed to not talk about it anymore."

"I see..."

"So I change your partner."

"Huh?"

"You love Agata, don't you? You should marry her quickly."

"Grandpa..."

Leo sighed. "Really, Serogia. Agata is as strong headed as her mother so I don't worry much but you, I am worried about you. You are too kind, too accepting. I'm always worried that people will use you. I can't leave this world in peace before knowing you have someone I can trust beside you."

Gia laughed. Who did his grandfather think he was only compliant to?

"Then don't leave so soon. Stay, watch me like you always do and judge for yourself." Gia held Leo's hand.

Leo groaned. He knew what was coming.

"So, will you undergo the surgery, Grandpa?" Gia asked and squeezed his hand with eyes full of hope.

***

Agata and Gia left the memorial park together. It was a simple funeral only attended by a few people. Agata glanced at the man beside her. Gia did not cry. He was very calm about it, just like someone who was carrying a mere duty.

"Are you alright?" Agata leaned her head on his arm as they walked to their car.

"Uh huh." Gia muttered.

Mr. Trowell was standing nearby the car when he saw the two approached the entrance gate. The car window slowly slid down.

"Are you done? You can take all the time you need, you know? I don't mind waiting."

Gia nodded. "It's alright."

Leo stared at his grandson. "He was not a good father."

"That's not a good way to comfort someone, Sir." The secretary coughed politely.

"The only thing he did well was having you." Leo said and then added "Enough said. Now let's go home." The window slowly slid up again.

Gia turned and gave his father's final resting place one last look. In the end, the two of them did not have the chance to see and talk to each other. Elega Laggiri never regained consciousness until his death. Maybe it's for the best.

Agata interlocked their fingers together and smiled at Gia. "Let's go."

Gia nodded and return her smile. "Yeah, let's go home."