Chapter 9

"You are what??" Jean almost dropped his drink to the floor.

"It's not an official engagement or anything." Gia answered while carelessly flipping a book on his hand. They were inside a coffee house. He preferred to spend his Sunday at home but his friend had dragged him out because he had to know his yesterday's development with Agata from A to Z.

"Another order from your grandfather?"

Gia did not answer.

"Oh, for god's sake. You should stand up against old Leo sometimes. Tell him you have your own plan or something! It's your life, Gia!"

"He is just thinking for the family and business." Gia murmured.

"Family my ass. You are his only family and he thinks he can decide everything for you." Jean shook his head.

"I am fine with it." Gia sipped his drink slowly.

Knowing his friend's compliant nature toward his grandfather, Jean decided to change the subject. "Anywayyyyy, what about the other girl? What's her name again... Agata! Yes, her! After spending some time with her last night, what do you think? Is she really someone you know from the past?"

Gia's gaze dropped again to the book he was holding. "I don't know. I can't remember anything."

Jean sighed. "Guess so. A pity... hmm..."

"What?" Gia had a bad feeling about his companion's demeanor.

"She is pretty."

"Don't even think about it, Jean."

"Why? Who knows I am her type?" Jean shrugged his shoulders.

"Go find someone else. Don't involve Agata in your unscrupulous romantic adventure."

Jean raised his brows. He found the development interesting. He continued. "Oh, but I have quite taken a liking to her. My sister adores her too. She is a fun, not the flirty fun but..."

Gia gave him the death stare. He looked like he was seriously annoyed with his friend.

Jean could not hold his laughter and laughed out loud. "I'm just joking, my friend." He wiped the tear from his eyes. "Jeez, you are acting like her father."

"I am serious, Jean. Not her." Gia's eyes were dead serious.

Jean raised both of his hands. "Alright, alright. I won't touch her. I promise. Happy?"

Gia leaned back and sighed.

"If you are really the boy in the picture, I guess you must have been the overprotective brother to little Agata back then." Jean sneered.

Gia turned to him. "Huh?"

"Weren't you neighbors?"

"She told you...?" A look of horror crossed Gia's face.

"I asked her. She said you were neighbors."

"I wonder..." Gia's heart was beating wild. How much did she tell him?

"Are you sure you don't remember anything? Nothing at all? Not even a tiny spark of recollection?" Jean asked.

"No."

"You don't look like you are even trying." Jean shook his head.

"It's in the past. Best if we could all just move on." Gia tried to sound indifferent.

"Poor Agata." Jean drank his soda and watched his friend intensely. "This isn't fair. How could you be surrounded by pretty ladies you never asked for? Amaria, Agnes and now Agata."

"Is that all you think about every day?"

"But I cannot live without love."

"Then find someone decent and settle down??" Gia suggested.

Jean crossed his arms. "Dad has been nagging me a lot lately so you can stop."

"Jean..."

"Easy for you to say when you are engaged to someone as beautiful as Agnes Lassham."

Gia rubbed his temple. "Alright. Let's go back." He knew the argument was not going anywhere. He picked up his car keys and rose from his seat. Jean finished his drink and quickly followed him.

"Do you want me to drive you back to your house as usual?" He asked as he took his coat from the shop attendant. They had come in Gia's car together this morning.

"Nah, my driver... he is here."

"You called Mr. Egbert?" Egbert was Crown's family most faithful servant. He had been working for the family as long as Gia could remember.

"I need to go somewhere after this. There's no need to bother you." He smiled meaningfully.

Gia frowned. "Don't let me catch you chasing married women."

"Alright, Mr. Goody Two Shoes. I won't. See you whenever." Jean waved goodbye and left the shop.

Gia shook his head and paid their bill.

***

"Well, well, well, if it isn't Mr. Popular we have here." A woman in her fifties greeted Gia cheerfully as he walked past the living room. She was pouring freshly brewed tea into a white porcelain cup.

"Georgia?"

"Come sit down and drink this. It must be cold outside." Georgia took the coat from him and stood next to him as if waiting for something.

"Urm... thanks?" Gia drank the tea awkwardly.

"You are welcome, young master." Georgia smiled but did not move from where she stood.

"Is there something?"

"Don't you have something to tell me?" Gia's former care taker asked.

Gia pondered for a moment. "No?"

"I am hurt but that's okay." Georgia pouted but looked suspiciously happy. She took out a newspaper from behind and spread it widely for Gia to see. Two pictures of him taken from the night before were right there before his eyes.

"So? Which one of them is your lover, my dear?"

Gia almost chocked on his hot tea.