Chapter 6

"Gentlemen." Gia greeted them with a smile. "Can you leave us alone? My friend here..."

"Friend?" The reporter repeated.

"She isn't feeling well so I hope you don't make things hard for her."

The reporter stepped forward. "May we know your relationship with her?"

Persistent, Gia thought. "I don't think I am obliged to answer you. So, if you will excuse us." Gia turned his back to them and pulled Agata along.

"Mr. Dignita! Wait!"

"Gia?? What are you..." Jean suddenly appeared from the other side, still with two glasses of wine in his hand. He noticed another person his friend was with. "Agata...?"

Gia quickly shoved Agata to Jean and whispered, "Take her away. Now."

Jean understood his assignment and swiftly fled the scene with a reluctant Agata, ignoring the flashing lights coming behind them.

***

"What happened exactly?" Sera asked.

Jean shrugged his shoulders. "I was just back from getting drinks for Agata and me, and I saw Gia and her getting caught by reporters. I didn't know the Lasshams invited them."

"It's a charity event. It's a given they wanted it to get attention as much as possible."

The three of them were sitting inside a guest room lent to Sera by Mrs. Lassham. Agata was silent the whole time. Sera turned to her. "So, how was your... meeting with Gia, Agata?"

Agata could feel her face getting hot for no reason. "I don't know... Everything moved too fast. I didn't even have the time to process our meeting."

"Hmmmm... is that so?" Sera leaned back to the sofa. "I wonder what Gia thinks about this. Any news from him, Jean?"

Jean shook his head. "Did he at least seem to recognize you, Agata?"

Agata pondered. "I remembered him looking... scared... I don't know how to explain. He was shocked... but that doesn't particularly mean because he recognized me. Probably just shocked because he didn't expect to see someone there at the time. Maybe I am wrong. It was quite dark out there in the garden."

"So we just have to wait for him then..." Sera frowned.

There was silence again in the room before a gentle knock was heard behind the door.

"Come in." Sera answered.

The door opened and Gia walked into the room.

"Gia?!" Jean and Sera jumped from their seats. Agata just stared at him with her mouth wide open.

Gia moved his gaze to Agata and lowered his head. "I am sorry. I must have startled you just now."

This time, it was Jean and Sera staring at him with their mouth hanging. Agata slowly rose from the sofa and walked toward Gia. Her eyes never left his. She stopped right in front of him and looked up. The person she had been looking for was now standing right in front of her but no words came out of her mouth. All the things Agata wanted to tell him for the past 18 years gone from her head. She clenched her dress tightly. Her body trembled and tears silently ran down from the corner of her eyes.

Gia did not look away. His dark eyes were fixed on her.

Agata threw her arms around him and let out a heart-breaking wail. She cried and cried. The others were just standing there helplessly. Agata remembered crying like this long time ago. It was the day she realized that no matter how long she waited, her parents and Gia would never come back again.

***

"What do you think?" Sera broke the silence as she walked along the corridor with her brother. The Crown siblings had left the room. She was a little worried but thought it was best to leave the two alone.

Jean did not know what to think. His brows furrowed deeper. "I don't know... will he be okay by himself... you know how soft-hearted Gia can be sometimes."

"You still don't trust her?"

"Do you?" Jean asked his sister back, almost at once.

"I want to trust her..." Sera lowered her eyes.

Jean frowned and put both his hands behind his head. "No fair... everyone wants a piece of Gia now that he is the heir to Dignita family. Speaking of that, I haven't asked how he got here with Agnes Gorgeous Lassham tonight."

His sister narrowed her eyes. "Is that all you think about?"

Jean hugged his big sister and laughed. "Aww, you are still the prettiest lady tonight, sis."

Sera shook her head and sighed. "Oh, Jean... I wish you are half as serious as our Gia." She took one last worried look at the far door they just exited and left the hall with her brother.