Chapter 44

"What do you think happened actually?" Agata asked after both had calmed down.

"I assumed someone was trying to harm you and the only person I know your mother seemed to be scared of was her father. Was the person she was asking help from her father? Did they somehow argue and then he threatened her to take you from her? I don't know..."

"What about your father? Could it have been him?"

Gia shook his head. "No, my father shouldn't have known where they took me and besides, what would your mother called my father for?"

Agata nodded in agreement.

"Why didn't you tell grandpa last time? He would have understood why you hide everything from him."

Gia looked troubled. "I can't... I was scared to find out. What if it was really him..."

Agata looked at him kindly. "You love grandpa but you don't trust him."

Gia twisted his fingers. "I don't want to hate him."

Agata stood up. "Let's go back and ask grandfather, Gia! That is the only way to know the truth."

"I can't. I am sure he doesn't want to see me either."

"Gia..."

"I need time to think my life over. You should go home now with Jean and Amaria."

Agata frowned and pursed her lips. She returned to her seat. "I will stay here too."

"What...?! No, you can't!"

"Why? I don't care. If you are not going back, I won't too!" Agata crossed her arms.

"This is bad. How am I going to tell mom?" Amaria clicked her tongue.

"Tell grandpa that if he still wants to see me, he'd better take Gia back!" Agata insisted.

"As you wish, my lady." Amaria smiled.

"What do you mean as she wishes, Amaria?? You should help me persuade her..." Gia was horrified.

"Return to Lumina Capital and you can order me around again, Sir." Amaria reminded him.

"You know I don't have the right to that..."

"That would be for the Board to decide, Sir."

Jean laughed out loud at Gia's defeat from one corner of the room. "Poor Gia..." His friend shot him an angry look.

"I am not going back and that's final. Do whatever you want!" Gia went to bed and covered himself completely with the blanket.

The three guests sighed and a moment later, the room turned silent again.

"Move over. I want to sleep to."

Gia rose from the bed almost immediately. "Why... why are you still here? And what are you doing on my bed??!"

"I told you I am staying until you agree to go home with me! Now move, there is only one bed here so we have to share." Agata got into bed and pulled the blanket over. "Come on, let's sleep for today."

"I haven't allowed you to sleep here!"

"Are you going to make me sleep on the floor? But it's so cold and there's water dripping..."

"I'll sleep on the floor..." He crawled over her to leave the bed but was stopped by her.

"NOOOOOO!! You stay here!! I won't let you leave!!" Agata's arms was all over him.

"Where are your hands touching??!" Gia was sure Agata could have seen his flustered face if the light was on. Agata laughed with her head resting on his chest. She could hear his loud heartbeat.

"Why are you sleeping like this?" He gave up and moved her to his side. "Here, cover yourself. I have work early tomorrow so I am going to sleep now."

Agata waited for a moment before whispering his name.

"Sleep, Agata. I can hear you." Gia said without opening his eyes.

Agata moved closer and kissed him on the cheek, which startled Gia. He opened his eyes to see her grinning.

"I love you."

"Okay, smile wide, Gia!" A digital shutter sound was heard from her phone.

"What exactly are you doing since this morning?" Gia asked as he dried the plates in the kitchen. He could see her fingers tapping furiously on her phone screen.

"Nothing. Just sending some pictures of us to show grandpa what he was missing."

Gia shook his head. Sometimes he did not understand her way of thinking. Was she trying to make Leo angrier?

"I am going out. Lock the door and..."

"I know. I know. See you later!" Agata waved him goodbye.

After Gia left, Agata sat down on one of the chairs and banged her head on the table. What the fuck did I say last night??? I love you?? It was good enough that Gia didn't shove her away or telling her she was disgusting or anything along that line. She would kill herself.

She rested her head lazily on the table. Did she misunderstand his feeling for her? She touched her lips. He kissed her TWICE (the first one was because he was drunk but the second one? He knew what he did!). She pulled her face. That was so embarrassing!! After her confession, Gia just looked blankly at her before turning his face to the other side. She wondered what he thought of her.

Her phone beeped. She took out and saw a message coming. She smiled.

***

"I'll leave it here for you to see when you have time, Sir." Trowell retreated from the room after leaving a digital pad on a small table next to where Leo was sitting.

Leo stole a glance at the screen beside him. "Whatever boring things he wanted me to see..." He cleared his throat and carefully lifted up the pad. His heart sunk at the first thing he saw. It was a picture of Serogia making tea in the kitchen. His face was half hidden but Leo could see his thinning forearm below his rolled-up sleeve. Why is he looking so pale? Is he eating properly...? And where the hell is this...? Everything in the picture looked like they could collapse anytime soon. Georgia would be so mad at him if she ever saw this. He swiped the screen. It was a picture of a house. Is this where he is living now? It was a far cry from the house he had provided for him, but he chose to live in this shabby house over his... He swiped again. Leo almost puked. What the hell was that?? It was a picture of a bowl with yellowish soup with gloopy texture. Is this what he has been eating?? Something that looks like dog shit?? He put the pad back on the table. He could not bear to see more.

He got up and paced inside his room back and forth. What should he do? If the boy kept living like this... Leo paused, letting his eyes moved around before he picked up a photo frame from his bookcase. His secretary was right. He risked repeating the same mistake he did in the past. He was angry at Dara and Serogia for betraying his trust and he might have been too harsh with his words. He admitted that, but what disappointed him the most was how readily they were to leave him behind. How easy for them to discard him from their lives. They did not spare a second thought for him, how he would feel after they left. He was Dara's father but she left him for love, never once looking back to see him, and so was Serogia. He could bear living in his current state but avoid living anywhere near him.

A drop of tear fell on his old wrinkled hand. He laughed at himself. "It looks like I am that lonely old man..."