Chapter 35

Agata stretched her palm out.

Gia handed her a cup of vanilla ice cream and paid the cashier.

"Not this!" Agata frowned.

"You don't like vanilla?" Gia asked as they left the ice cream truck and looked for a place to sit in the park.

"My photo! You stole it from my room, didn't you?! Don't even think of lying to me!"

Gia saw no luck in acting clueless. "Can't you give it to me?"

They sat down on a bench and began eating their ice cream. Agata glanced sideways at Gia. It was a short split-second look, but her eyes, as if automatically, focused on his lips. Her cheeked turned crimson almost immediately. She cursed herself but frankly, felt a little disappointed. Gia had mentioned nothing about their last meeting in his office. Could it be that he did not remember anything from that day? He was drunk after all. Agata pursed her lips.

"You don't like it? You are not eating." Gia asked.

"I am annoyed."

"Why?"

"Think about it yourself!" She spooned a large scoop of ice cream into her mouth and suffered a brain freeze for a second. Oucchh.

"Don't eat too fast." He put down his dessert cup on the bench and took out his wallet. He pulled out a photo and handed it to her. "Here. I am sorry for stealing it."

"Huh?"

"Aren't you upset because I stole it? I am returning it to you. Please don't be angry."

Agata wanted to hit him. How could he act like nothing happened? She had expected an awkward tension between them when she called him out to meet today. The photo was just an excuse. She just wanted to see him. What was she supposed to do then if he gave her back the photo so easily?

"I don't want it anymore!"

"So I can keep it?" Gia asked with a delighted look in his eyes.

Annoying. Agata was annoyed at him but she could not help it when her heart beat for him every time he smiled warmly at her. She slapped her own face many times that made Gia jumped. He stopped her hands.

"What are you doing??"

"I must be crazy." How can I yearn for someone with a fiancée just because of one or two stupid drunk kiss?

Gia looked confused.

Agata shook her head. "It's nothing. Sorry for calling you out like this suddenly."

"You can call me anytime." Gia smiled.

"That won't do..."

Gia's phone rang. Agata saw the caller ID when he pulled his phone out. She quickly stood up.

"My lunch hour is almost over. I need to go back now. Thank you for the ice cream."

"Uh... oh... hold on." His phone was still ringing.

"You do your thing. I'll leave first." She threw the paper cup into the bin and waved goodbye at him before walking away hurriedly.

Gia watched her back disappeared in the crowd and picked up the call finally. "How can I help you, Miss Lassham?"

***

"I have to admit I am surprised when you called me, Mr. Dignita." Eric took a seat across Leo. They had agreed to meet at the old man's house.

"It has been a while since I came here." Eric's eyes circled around Leo's office. "Nothing changes much I see. We used to spend a lot of time talking here, and I admired your books collection. Still do." He smiled. Leo did not respond to his comments. Seeing the host went silent, Eric let out a polite cough and began himself.