Chapter 23

Gia leaned his head on Agata's shoulder. His arms went around her.

"What are you doing?? You haven't answered my question!! Let me go!!" Agata struggled in his sudden embrace.

Silence.

"Gia...?" Agata could feel his skin near her neck. It was unusually warm and his body against hers felt heavier by the minute.

"Wait, are you sleeping now???" Agata tried to shake him but his body slumped forward, making Agata lost her balance as she could not hold his weight any longer. Both fell to the floor with a loud thud.

"OUCH! What the hell..." Agata touched the back of her head.

Gia drowsily moved away from her. "I... I am sorry, Agata... are you... okay?" He tried to stand but his legs were weak. He fell down again to the floor.

"Do you have a fever? Your face is red." Agata moved to his side, touching his forehead. "You're burning. You idiot! How long have you been standing outside?! YOU STUPID IDIOT!"

Gia did not even have the energy to argue with her.

There was no one around so she dragged him into the elevator and punched the floor button where her unit was.

"Why are you like this... can you stand? Here, hold onto my shoulder." Agata lifted one of his arms and put it around her shoulder.

Agata keyed in her door's private pass code when they arrived and led Gia into her house.

She looked around. She was now almost out of breath. Where?

At that moment, Gia's phone rang. He tried to reach inside his coat's pocket where his phone was.

"If that's another call from your grandfather asking for the unreasonable..."

Gia was sweating heavily and his face was hot but he still managed to force a smile. He showed her his empty hand.

"Good. Now follow me." Agata dragged him toward the door at the end of the corridor.

"Why are we going to your bedroom?"

Agata ignored him and turned the door handle. She switched on the lights as they entered.

Before Gia could question Agata more, she took off his coat and suit jacket, quickly undid his tie and pushed him to her bed.

"Hold... HOLD ON!!!" Gia panicked but Agata continued ignoring him. She started to unbutton the top few buttons of his shirt.

"Wait...!!!" Gia grabbed her hand to stop her from embarrassing him. "Why are you suddenly..."

"You are running a fever." She touched his neck, which made Gia flinched a little. "And you are all sweaty. It will get worse if you don't change your wet clothes." She paused and sneered. "Why? Are you embarrassed?"

Gia's face turned even redder. He clutched on his half-opened shirt tightly as if his virginity was on stake. His head was spinning now.

Agata scratched her head. Gia looked totally terrified. "Sorry, my bad... I'm used to doing this for the kids in the orphanage." She ransacked through her wardrobe and took out the largest T-shirt she could find, a souvenir or commercial freebie that she could not remember where from.

"Here, I'll go out so you can change. Just lie down after that. I'll make something for you."

Agata was about to leave when Gia pulled the hem of her shirt weakly. His breathing uneven.

"What?"

"Please don't hate me..."

"What are you talking about?"

"I am sorry. Last time I didn't mean to..." Tears were forming in his eyes.

"Are you actually crying right now?? Why are you being so dramatic??"

Oh God... the fever had done damage to his head.

"Forgive me, Agata..." Gia's hand did not let her go.

Agata let out a heavy sigh and turned back. She sat beside him and swiftly changed his clothes while comforting him like a baby. Gia was so drowsy it did not look like he knew what he was saying and what she was doing either.

***

Gia tossed around in bed. His body was sweating heavily.

I don't care!! You can report me if you want. I am taking him away!

He could hear a child crying. His head hurt.

Are you trying to kill him?? He is your son!!

Gia knew this familiar voice. It was Mrs. Fores. She sounded furious. Gia could now see his younger self crying in her arms. He turned his head. And across them, was his father. His drunkard father – holding a fat wooden stick in his hand. His stepmother was standing beside him, looking both scared and angry. He remembered this. It was that day. His biggest nightmare.

It's okay, Gia. I know someone in the capital. He will help you. She said as she patted his small back.

"I am sorry... I am so sorry..." Gia cried in his sleep.

It was a memory from her last days in the world. He remembered her whispering to him as they ran. I won't let anything bad happen to you, Gia. I will protect you.

"Gia! Gia!!"

Agata's voice woke him up. His eyes were still blurry from the tears.

"Are you alright? Did you have a nightmare?" Agata wiped the sweat from his forehead and stuck a cooling pad on it.

Gia turned his head and saw Agata sitting by the bed side.

"The fever hasn't gone down yet." She frowned.

"I am sorry..."

"You are still at it? I am not mad anymore. Just go sleep now, will you?" Agata pulled back the blanket that he had kicked away.

"It's all my fault... I am so sorry..." His weak hand touched her hand.

"Huh?"

"If only it was me... that died that day..."

"What are you talking about..."

"I am so sorry..." Gia's voice trailed off. His eyes closed.

Agata could hear his slow breathing. He had fallen asleep. She wiped the tears that were running down from the corner of his eyes.

Taking the warm cloth she just brought in, she started wiping off the sweat from his arms, neck and shoulders – all while thinking of what Gia had said in his half-awake state. She stroked his warm cheek and then smiled. She remembered now. It was her who started their silly ritual. One time, she saw Gia crying at the back of their house, saying he was afraid to go home. Her younger self must have thought he saw a monster at night. She taught him what her mother did every time she had nightmare.

Agata leaned over and kissed his cheek. "Sweet dream, Gia."

After making sure Gia was asleep comfortably, she picked up the water bowl from the bed side and left the room quietly.