chapter 1

Evelyn stood stoically at the dimly lit bar, her black nails clicking incessantly against the sleek, dark countertop. Her maroon lips graced the rim of a glass, welcoming the lovely burn of tequila that momentarily pacified her building frustration. Her penetrating gaze fixated on the man seated across from her, whose boisterous laugh resonated through the air like nails on a chalkboard, relentlessly assaulting her ears.

Though her deep brown eyes simmered with disdain, Evelyn maintained her composure, resisting the impulse to reach for the concealed knife securely fastened to her thigh. She reluctantly tore her gaze away from the man's obnoxiously bright hair, a vivid distraction that seemed to blind her senses, forcing her eyes downward to the last shot before her.

Summoning her courage, Evelyn gracefully lifted the glass, her delicate fingers embracing its slender form. The elegant black dress encasing her body felt increasingly suffocating, its tightness constricting her chest.

Her hips sway with every step as she approaches the loud man, her red-bottomed heels clicking incessantly against the floor. The glass of red wine sloshes around in her hand as she gets closer to the bleach blonde man.

When she is just a few feet from him, she halts a step too short, and the wine spills from the glass onto the man's fancy suit. He let out a shout of indignation, looking at his stained outfit.

Faux apologies fall from her mouth as she tries to swipe away the dark liquid, her hand dangerously close to his crotch. "I'm so sorry, sir. I tripped, that's totally my fault." says Evelyn, her voice laced with honeyed venom.

The man looked at the woman, a smirk falling on his lips. "It's no problem. Would you mind helping me out?" He pokes his tongue out, running it across his bottom lip. "With my clothes of course." His smirk widens as the brunette looks up at him through her lashes.

"It's the least I can do." She bit her lip, letting the man lead her towards the bathrooms in the back. His hand laid on the small of her back, drifting down with every step she took.

Within seconds of entering the bathroom, his mouth was on her own, his tongue exploring her mouth. She rolled her eyes as he began removing his clothes.

Her hand gently pulled the side of her dress up, grabbing for the needle in her garter. She removed the needle shield, raising her arm up behind him as he trailed kisses down her neck. The brunette slammed the needle down beside his spine, a gasp of shock escaping his mouth before the screaming began.

The syrionce once filled with Acanite clattered to the tile, the man going down right beside it.

James Porter, a sex trafficker. Evelyn had received the call 3 days prior that somebody really wanted this man dead, and he was well on his way. The three thousand dollar payment was within her grasp; if he would just give up.

Once the screams ceased, she snapped a picture of the deceased man before exiting the bathroom. The loud music reverberates through the bar, the bass vibrating the floor. As Evelyn walked down the hall, she passed the bartender who sent a curt nod her way, an 'Out Of Order' sigh secured in his grip.

49.

○○●○○

Heels in hand, Evelyn approaches the tall wooden door of her apartment, smiling at the neighbor as she passed.

Her steps fell short as she saw the door, cracked open. The keys were slipped back into her coat as she bent down, sliding a baseboard over to retrieve the hidden gun inside. She approached the door again, pushing it open gently.

"I know you're in here," She spoke clearly, her voice steady. "and I'll have you know, this is a terrible idea."

When no response came, she continued down the main hall, gun raised. The only sounds to be heard was her steady breaths. Suddenly, a floor board creaked on the far side of the flat. A small smirk fell on her lips, picking up her pace until she reached the end of the hall.

Swiftly pivoting, Evelyn came face to face with an unknown woman, both holding a gun aimed to kill. "You wanna put that down before you get hurt?" She walked forward, the blonde taking steady steps back.

"You need to lower your weapon, Thatcher." The blonde had a thick Britosh accent but her words were clear as day.

Evelyn released a peeved laugh, "And to think I was having a good day." In a blur, she disarmed the blonde, slamming her into the unforgiving wall. In turn, the other woman threw the remaining firearm aside, using all her force to charge forward and slam Evelyn into a cabinet.

The brunette grunted, pinned against the countertop, "Make this easier on yourself and stay down." The words angered her as determination surged through her, she grasped onto a plate behind her. With a shout, she smashed the plate in her opponents face, the blonde staggering back with a cry.
Evelyn stood, grabbing the knife in the sink and racing fiercly towards the new threat. However, the attack was obstructed and the blade was ripped from her grasp. The blonde hoistened her up by her thighs, ramming her into the wall.

Black nails reached to yank the curtain from its clips, wrapping it around her rivals neck. Evelyn kicked off the wall, the two crashing to the floor. The curtain was around the brunette neck in second as they both yanked tightly, determined to overpower the other. Choked breaths mixed together as they waited for the other to give up.

"I think it's in both your best interests to release the other." A third voice spoke, a man watching the two struggling.

The blonde instinctively released her grip, allowing Evelyn to yank her up and tighten the fabric around her neck. Her breaths came out in short pants, teary eyes glancing up at the newcomer. A man with gray hair and a perfect black suit stood in the room, a sigh tumbling past his lips.

"Can you please release my agent, Ms. Thatcher?" Evelyn rolled her eyes as she loosened her grip, allowing the girl to escape.

The blonde raced towards the man, grasping her throat. "This is the bitch you want? She's psychotic." He held up a hand, silencing her.

"I'm very sorry for my agent. Unlike Cara, I'd just like to speak to you." His kind voice set her on edge.

"Yeah? What about?" Evelyn stood, dropping the curtain.

"I need your help, Evelyn."

She furrowed her brows, "And what exactly can I help you with?"

The man took a step forward, holding his hands up as a peace offering. "I need your help in tracking down Deckard Shaw."

Shit.