chapter 11

Evelyn listened intently, trying to hear any sign of life. Minutes passed by slowly, time dragging on as anxiety built up inside her.

An explosion followed by gunshots immediately caught her attention, the brunette getting off her knees. Raised voices sounded like whispers through the thick glass, the chaos beyond the door warped. 

After several minutes, it all just stopped. The gunshots ceased, no sounds to be heard beside her heavy breathing.
She gasped when the door slammed open, holding a hand over her racing heart. Deckard sped towards the glass, standing directly before the door as he fished around in his pocket. He pulled out a ring of keys, the girl walking carefully towards the door. "What happened?" He didn't dare look at her, ripping the door open and grabbing her arm. He walked them towards the door as Evelyn tried to pry her arm from hos grip. She stopped resisting when she saw the damage in the warehouse. Her eyes scoured the floor, searching for her brother. Luckily, he was nowhere to be seen as Deckard walked them outside.

As they approached a car, Evelyn ripped her arm from the man, both of them stopping on the asphalt. "Where's Dom?"

Deckard scoffed, "You'll be happy to know he got away." He reached for her again but she backed away. "Evelyn-"

"I bet you feel real weak right now." She smirked, anger coursing through the man. "To have no power. To lose to somebody so below you. You must feel powerless." A chuckle slipped past her lips.  "Should've taken my offer." The teasing frown on her lips and her taunting brown eyes sent pure lust through his body.

"Is it too late?" He stepped closer, but this time she didn't back away.

She refrained from smirking as her plan began to fall into place. "I'm not sure you deserve it." Her nail dragged along his stubble as he stared at her lips. "Do you?"

He looked into her eyes, stepping closer. There was barely any space between them, Deckard able to feel her feathery breaths against his lips. Her hands clasped behind his head, pulling him down to her lips.

He groaned into the kiss, grabbing her hips roughly to pull her into him. She shoved him into the car, slipping her tongue past his lips. Her hands traced down his torso, his abs tightening beneath his shirt.

Her hand fell from his body, lifting her own dress the reach for the string of her underwear, grabbing the knife secured there. Deckard flipped them so her back was pressed against the car door. She brought her empty hand to rest on his back, pulling him as close as possible. Her hand that tightly gripped the blade raised up behind him before coming down, jamming the knife into his back.

He ripped away from her lips, shouting in pain. She threw him against the vehicle, backing away with the bloodied knife in hand. "Evelyn!" He cried out, looking up at her from the ground.

Eve took in deep breaths as she looked down at him in anger. "How's it feel, Deckard? To be betrayed by someone you love? Hurts doesn't it?"

The man groaned in agony as the girl chuckled, "I warned you."

Without another word, she left the man rolling around on the street. Evelyn quickly got into one of Mr. Nobody's abandoned vehicles, ripping the wires from below the steering wheel.

After a few tries, she successfully hotwired the car, the engine rumbling to life. In her peripheral, she saw Deckard standing and heading straight for her. Before he could reach her, she pulled away, speeding off down the abandoned roads.

○○●○○

When she was far away from the warehouse, she searched everywhere for a phone, ripping everything from the glove box and center console.

She cursed when there was nothing to be found. Her brown eyes searched vigorously for anything around her. It was several minutes before finally a gas station caught her attention. It was run down and empty but it was an opportunity. As she pulled the black car into the parking lot, she shouted in victory at the payphone outside.

She stumbled from the car, walking into the gas station. Eve eyes the teenage girl at the register, her hands gripping a vogue magazine. "Excuse me." The brunette smiled, the ginger looking up. "Do you have a spare quarter by any chance?"

The girl looked confused, raising a brow at her. "For what?"

Evelyn resisted the urge to scowl, pointing towards the payphone. "I need to make a call."

The younger girl chuckled, "Oh God, please don't use that. I don't even think it works."

Evelyn sighed, placing her hands on the counter, "Listen," her eyes dropped to her name tag, "Celia, I desperately need to make a phone call."

Celia looked at the woman in sympathy, reaching into her pocket and pulling out her own phone. "Just use mine. As long as your not some criminal."

Evelyn smirked, grabbing the cellphone, "Don't worry, I'm not."

"Password is 080700." The gingers eyes dropped back to her magazine, letting the woman open her phone.

"Thank you." She spoke quickly, walking towards the back of the store. Just as she went to type the number in, a realization hit her.

She didn't know anyone's number.

After a moment, she shrugged beginning to type in his old number. "Hopefully it hasn't changed." Eve brought the device to her ear, listening to the ring.

It ringed four times, her hope decreasing with every passing one, until finally someone picked up.

"Who is this?" Dom's deep voice echoed through the phone, a relieved sigh falling from her mouth.

"Dom, it's me, Evel- Lottie." She heard his breath hitch on the other line, listening intently as he spoke.

"Brian!" He called for the man before returning his attention to the woman, "Where are you? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. Can you come get me? I'm at a gas station about 20 minutes south of the warehouse." She bounced on her toes as she looked at the vacant street outside, scanning for potential threats.

"We're already in the car." Dom informed her, the sound of an engine roaring meeting her ear. "We'll be there in a bit."

"I'll see you soon, Dom. Thank you." She smiled lightly, taking the phone away from her ear and hanging up. She walked back towards the girl, passing the phone back. "Thank you, again."

"Of course." Celia didn't look up as she slipped the phone back into her pocket.

Evelyn turned around, walking up and down the aisles. A pair of scissors discarded on a shelf beside a roll of price tags caught her eye. Her head turned to the freezer door, eyeing her tangled head of hair in the reflection. She glanced towards and unaware Celia before slipping the scissors into her boot.

"You got a bathroom?" Celia pointed towards the back, Eve walking past the counter towards it.

○○●○○

They say hair holds memories. It holds tragic events in every strand, trauma rooted deep in the scalp. So in order to rid one of those memories of troubled love and lost family, it must go away.

Evelyn stood in the dirty mirror of the bathroom, eyeing her brown hair now cropped to her shoulders.

Her old memories lay discarded in the trash.

This was her fresh start.

---

authors note

this was written so quick because I'm so behind because of Christmas so hopefully it's okay.

I went through something this past year and chopped my hair off so now I'm projecting onto Evelyn lmfao

love writing her beat Deckard like the queen she is

vote and comment!