chapter 13

The plan would fall into place like dominoes, aligned to perfection before the action began.

The team would report back to California - specifically Los Angeles - and face Deckard and his lackeys on their own turf. Well not Evelyn's.

Dom would battle it out with Deckard while the rest of the team, bar Eve, would regain control of God's Eye. They had laid the plan on the plane ride, ignoring the soft snores coming from the exhausted brunette.

Brian had carried her sleeping frame from the car to the plane, her face more peaceful than he'd ever witnessed. Even when she was a mere teen, her face was still weighed down by the stress and pain life burdened her with.

When she finally woke, they caught her up; explaining her very limited duties. Eve would remain in the building adjacent to where Dom would meet Deckard, acting as a sniper in case of emergency. They trusted her boasted skills, prepared to rely on her excellent marksmanship if the plan were to take a turn for the worst. Technically she wouldn't be much help to anyone but Dom but everyone assured her that's where she needed to be.

Then after the teams awkward silence ended, the dam broke, spilling terror into every crevice of her body. But she didn't dare let it leak into her cold features, shoving her shaky hands into her pockets.

"If it comes to it, you'll need to put down Shaw."

That's what they had said. The syllables were coated in concern. Concern over her reaction. Concern over her response. Concern over her ability to complete such a vile task.

She just sent a silent nod, lips pressed tight to conceal the protests that would escape.

She had agreed. Agreed to kill the love of her life if I came to it.

No.

He wasn't the love of her life. Not anymore. He was a mean man who had hurt her, over and over.

Evelyn knew this. Yet, even the thought of him no longer breathing put an ache so heavy in her chest it made it hard to breathe.

She prayed to anybody who would listen that no bullets would leave the chamber.

○○●○○

The time had come.

Evelyn was laid out on the concrete of the parking garage, looking through the optics to see the rooftop of the adjacent building.

The walkie talkie beside her remained silent, busy traffic filling her eardrums.

Finally the sight of cars speeding up the levels caught her eye, Deckard chasing after Dom's black Dodge Charger.

Rushed voices broke through the silence as the rest of the crew communicated through the walkie. She ignored it as she watched the two cars face eachother, engines revving.

Eve's eyebrows furrowed as she watched the car speed towards eachother, a short gasp leaving her lips as they crashed into eachother; Dom landing on top of Deckard's.

Gunfire echoed into the night as the two shot through the metal. Deckard exited hos car first, grabbing onto a piece of broken metal and Dom followed, a shotgun clutched in his grasp.

Her aim trailed Deckard as the two spoke, Dom abandoning the automatic weapon to grab to metal pieces.

She rolled her eyes as they began fighting hand-to-hand, making sure to aim wherever Deckard when, huffing when Dom kept interrupting.

Suddenly, a hand grasped onto her foot yanking her away from the gun. Before she could react, a kick met her face.

Evelyn hopped onto her feet, meeting green eyes. "Who the hell-" she was cut off as she dodged the incoming punching.