chapter 5

"I love you, Deckard." Evelyn whispered, her head laid on his bare chest.

"I love you too, Eve." He promised.

No matter how many promises they made, lies and secrets were cemented into the structure of their relationship. And when things crumbled, they would be revealed and stripped to nothing.

The group pulled Ramsey from the demolished Charger, Brian looking for the missing member.

"Where's Lottie?" The blonde asked, looking pointedly at Dom.

"She attacked Shaw. They crashed somewhere along the mountain." Although he tried to conceal it, worry was evident in his face.

"Dom and I will go find her. Letty, Tej, take Ramsey to the safe house. We'll meet you there." They all agreed as Dom wiped away the blood on his face.

They split up and Brian began driving where Dom pointed him.

After a bit of vigorous searching on the blondes part he finally noticed his brothers detached attitude. "You okay?"

Dom looked over, breathing in deeply. "I just... I grieved Lottie for years. And I know I should be happy she's back. But I'm not. Cause this isn't Lottie. This Evelyn is not my sister. Because my sister would never do this, she would never hurt her family like this." Both men frowned a bit, eyes darting across the terrain.

"Listen Dom, I've spent years blaming myself for her death. I always wondered what would happen if I had a second chance. Now I do." He felt his eyes boring into him. "I intend to spend it wisely, make up for my past mistakes. And if that means I have to spend a while trying to find the old Lottie, then I'll do it. But if I can't find her...I'll know I tried." The blonde looked over, "Maybe you should too. You'll regret it if you didn't at least try."

He was met with silence as Dom faced forward again. A few minutes passed when finally something came into view, Deckard's destroyed car. Brian hit the brakes immediately, both men hopping out of the car and running towards the wreck.

They checked the rubble, spotting the drops of blood inside. Nothing. Evelyn was nowhere to be seen.

A cough sounded through the air as they ran around the car, spotting Evelyn's body laid sprawled out on the ground. Blood coated her face and arm as her lungs heaved.

Brian kneeled beside her, checking her pulse. He nodded up to Dom, relief flooding through both of them.

Another cough surged through her body and blood spurted past her lips. Dom's concerned gaze met Brian's.

Brian lifted her shirt up, eyeing the bruising across her ribs.

"It must've happened in the fall." Dom spoke up, wincing at the purple clouding her skin.

"Let's get her to the safe house and we'll take care of this." Brian slid his hand under her armpits, letting Dom grab her legs as they carefully carried her to the car.

○○●○○

Evelyn winced in pain as Deckard poured the shooter over the gash in her arm. "Sorry." He muttered, not sounding sincere.

The pair had been on a mission for MI6, going after a threat when things got messy. Bullets flew, bodies dropped, and Evelyn got caught in the crossfire. A bullet had grazed her arm, cutting deep.

So now, they sat at a wooden picnic table at a uninhabited bar, attending to their wounds. Deckard was cleaning up her arm with bandages as she glanced over, laughing at his intense stare.

He glanced up from his work, "What?" his tone was annoyed.

"Nothing." Eve shook her head, containing her laughs.