chapter 2

"Отчет миссии." The man seated at the long wooden desk spoke, his voice thick as his leather gloves tapped on the smooth surface. (Mission report.)

"Миссия выполнена." The woman replied, hands folded against the small of her back that was stiff as a board. Her ginger hair was pulled into a tight bun and a leather jacket wrapped around her body like a second skin. (Mission accomplished.)

Josh Barlowe stood, stepping around the desk until he was stood just before the woman. He brought his gloved hands up until they rested on her cheeks, her little flinch making him smirk. "Молодец, Эвелин." (Well done, Evelyn.)

Evelyn Thatcher stared up at the man who destroyed her life, a frown tugging at the corners of her lips. His hands fell from her face and he turned, almost as though he was going to walk away. But before he did, Josh turned on his heel and sent a leather palm across her cheek, satisfaction filling his chest as he watched her cradle the stinging skin.

"Тренироваться. Завтра у тебя будет еще одна миссия. И мы не можем позволить себе неудачу." Evelyn straightened, glaring at the man's back before promptly turning on her heel and marching out of the room. (Train. Tomorrow you will have another mission. And we can't afford to fail.)

When she passed the door, a soldier awaited her, gripping her arm tightly and leading her down the dim halls. He paused in front of a metal door, delivering three firm knocks before it swung open. The air was cold as she was pushed inside, the door rattling as it was slammed shut.

Two soldiers stood on walls opposite eachother, guns drawn to their chest and mask covering their faces.

A speaker crackled to life, the voice of her captor filling her ears. "Убей их." (Kill them.)

The door opposite her body slid open and two men, one tall and muscular and the other short and stocky, stepped out and glared at the woman.

Her expression remained impassive as she waited for one of them to strike. When the shorter one took a step forward, Evelyn took off in a sprint. He tried to back away but she had already used her momentum to wrap her legs around his neck. She took them to the floor before twisting her hips, hearing the harsh snap of his neck.

Eve rolled away from him, standing to her feet and sizing up her remaining opponent. He reminded her of an uglier Hobbs, flexing his muscles and faux confidence dripping from his stance.

He ran towards her, arms spread in a poor attempt to grab her. The ginger slid through his legs, throwing her own foot into his spine.

The man stumbled forward, almost unphased as he turned to her once more. This time when he lunged for her, she knelt on one knee and sent a swift punch to his stomach then another into his kneecap. His leg snapped back and he fell to the floor, crying out.

Evelyn scrambled to stand, stepping around him until she was in position to press her foot into the man's neck.

He let out choked coughs as he roughly gripped her ankle, pulling harshly and sending her to her back.

Before she could move, he'd crawled on top of her and wrapped strong hands around her throat.

Her lungs burned as she brought her hands up to his face, digging her thumbs into his eyes. Blood poured down her arms and onto her face as he screamed, his grip getting weaker.

However, before she could knock him away and finish him off, a gunshot echoed through the quiet room.

Blood splattered the wall to her left as the man collapsed against her.

With a groan, she shoved him off and rolled to the side. She spat out the blood he shed, which had fallen into her mouth; her teeth stained red and the iron taste filling her mouth.

Her eyes lifted to spot the soldier who lowered his gun and stepped back into his position.

The door slammed open as two more soldiers marched in, gripping her arms and dragging her through the hall once more. Her knees scraped against the concrete as they hauled her away, a familiar door coming into sight.

Once they stormed through the entrance, they threw her body a few feet before exiting. She got to her hands and knees before lifting her eyes to spot a pacing Josh.

"That was pathetic." He hissed, obviously no longer feeling the need to speak in his Russian tongue. "He overpowered you. He could've killed you!"

Evelyn fell back onto her butt, the forming bruises on her neck visible as she craned it to stare at him.

He halted in his steps, turning to her, "Up."

When she made no movement, he stormed towards her, digging a hand into her hair and yanking her up. She cried out when he shoved her forward, her already sore body colliding with the brick wall.

Josh grasped one of her wrists and shackled it with the hanging chains before moving to the other. When both of her arms hung above her, body defenseless, he sent a hard boot into her ribs.

Move kicks and punches were thrown into her already brusied skin, until he had grown tired.

He ripped the knife from his belt, cutting her jacket off and leaving her bare back in his sight.

Scars littered the tan flesh — one for each failure.

He dragged the blade across her skin, connecting three lines like a grid. Blood ran down her skin, seaping into her black jeans.

Evelyn made no sound of pain, knowing it would only result in further punishment.

A stray tear fell down her cheek, no matter how hard she had tried to subdue it, running through the blood and grime.

The man knelt before her and tutted, swiping the pathetic tear away and smudging the red substance. "No tears." He gripped her face once more and laid a gentle kiss on her forehead.

It stung her skin, feeling as though he was digging a sharp blade into her skull. Maybe that would be better than this. Bile rose in her throat but she wouldn't dare let it escape.

"You know I'm doing this for you. To make you better." His dark eyes stared into hers with something akin sympathy. "You're my best killer, Evelyn. And now you're back." His hand crept down until it grasped her neck, "I won't let you escape this time."

She only stared at him.

~~~
a/n

poor evelyn, fuck josh.

enough said.

vote and comment!

also I like desperately need to update illicit affairs 😕