chapter 5

By now, everybody was finding their chosen vehicle and making the necessary adjustments. Evie sat on a spinning stool while Deckard worked on their car. He glanced her way only to find her staring off into space, a frown weighing her lips down.

"You alright?" He mumbled, wiping the grease off his hands with a rag.

She snapped from her trance, sending a small nod his way. Evelyn seemingly didn't have the strength to rip her lips apart. Her vocal cords screamed and cried but her sealed lips left them to fill her mouth until she suffocated.

Deckard tossed the rag onto a table before crouching in front of the stool, looking up at her. She didn't meet his eyes, finding her shoes more interesting than anything he could say or do.

"Hey," He grabbed her chin gently, "Look at me." She finally let her dark gaze settle onto his, her eyes glossy and faraway. He tucked her hair behind her ear before resting his calloused hand against her cheek. She unconsciously leaned into his touch, eyes still boring into his. "I need you to focus."

"Focus, Evelyn. It's you or them. Who's blood do you want painting the walls?"

Evelyn shook away the haunting voice that consumed her, lifting her gaze to the car elevated in the air. She stood — letting his hand fall as she did so — walking to the cart and fiddling with a couple tools.

Lottie lamely handed Dom the wrench as she read the trashy magazine clutched in her grip. "You know you could pay attention, you know. Learn a thing or two." Her brother sassed, making her roll her eyes over to him.

"You could mind your business, you know." She mocked his previous words, a smile breaking out on her face when he laughed. She set the magazine down, settling on her knees and resting her chin on the car her brother was working on.

Lottie may have only been ten but she knew even then that her brother was looking out for her. Whether it was just giving her tips on how to fix a car or even saving her life from a botched truck robbery, he would do whatever it took to keep her safe.

She set the tool down harshly, the connection with the metal filling the tense air. "I'm focused."

Deckard opened his mouth to reply but was cut off by the last person he wanted to hear open his big, dumb mouth. Hobbs walked toward them, holding two papers.

"Captain Deckard Shaw. Distinguished himself by acts of gallantry at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. His bold action saved the lives of hostages and his teammates, including one Lieutenant Evelyn Thatcher. Recommendation: the Victoria Cross." He read from the paper, glancing up at the pair. "The highest honor the British government has ever given..." He trailed off, walking closer to a working Deckard, "To a traitor."

Evelyn glared at him. He didn't know anything. He had no idea what he was like, what he had sacrificed for those he cared about. What he had sacrificed for her.

"Something about this whole thing that just doesn't add up to me." Hobbs furrowed his brows.

"Well, that would be the same kind of funny math that says a DSS agent who has a Silver Star for valor stole an EMP." Deckard shot back, pausing his movements. "Sound familiar, huh?"

Hobbs glared at him before turning to the third member of their group, "Nobody has nothing on you, but seeing as you're with Princess," He nodded to Deckard who only glared. "I assume you committed a similar act of treason."

Eve tilted her head, running her tongue along her top teeth. "I was a double agent." When she didn't elaborate, Hobbs nodded and dropped his gaze to the floor.