chapter 12

Brian and Charlotte sat on the hood of her car, the latter chewing on sour gummy worms and washing it down with a Big Gulp filled to the brim with diet coke. Lottie had just brought Brian to the fighting ring, introducing him to her kingdom.

The man was still thoroughly shocked as held the bag of M&Ms limply in his hand.

Lottie shocked herself when she brought the man, having only know him for a few weeks. But something about him made her trust him, completely. She knew he could never hurt her. Something deep in her heart assured her of this.

He had patched her wounds up with no questions, he had brushed off the fibs to her family, he didn't dig for answers. Brian Spilner was a man to be trusted.

For now, at least.

Dom and Brian finally pulled into the run down gas station, immediately spotting the woman sitting on the curb. As they got closer, they both furrowed their brows at her changed appearance. "Am I crazy or was her hair longer?" Brian asked, parking the car.

"It definitely was." Dom laughed, opening the door and getting out. The girl smiled at the sight of the men, immediately being brought into a hug by Dom. She froze, hands remaining at her side before lightly patting his back. Just as Dom detached, Brian pulled her in, making her wince.

"I've been hugged more in the past week than in the last 13 years." She mumbled in his chest, making the boys laugh.

"We'll talk in the car, let's go." The blonde waved her towards the vehicle but she didn't move.

"Do either of you have money?" They looked her way confused before glancing to eachother. "I'm hungry as hell."

Brian sighed, fishing his wallet from his pocket. "You an Roman would get along."

Evelyn snatched the 20 dollar bill, turning on her heel to walk back inside. Celia glanced up, smiling at her new friend.

Brian and Dom walked in behind her and Celia sat up in the chair, eyeing the newcomers with a smirk. Evelyn grabbed stuff from the shelves and dumped it onto the counter.

The ginger began scanning the items, not taking her eyes off the guys. "Are they single?" Evelyn cringed at the question, gagging internally.

"No." Celia frowned, throwing the food into a plastic bag and handing her the Big Gulp.

"Worth a shot." She retrieved her discarded magazine, propping her feet up on the counter.

"Bye, Celia! Thanks again." The bell rang at the trio walked out, hearing the small 'bye' as the door shut.

"Making friends?" Dom chuckled as she slurped down her diet coke.

"Always. I'm very likeable." She shrugged opening the back door of the all black vehicle.

Both boys made sounds of disagreement as Eve flipped them off.

Dom sat in the driver's seat with Brian beside him and Evelyn in the backseat. A pack of M&Ms landed in Brian's lap at the same time a bag of beef jerky landed in Doms.

Evelyn ripped open her bag of sour gummy worms, tossing a few into her mouth.

Dom glanced in the mirror, eyeing the girl. "What happened to your hair?"

The brunette looked up, locking eyes with him. "I cut it." She stated bluntly, earning a eye roll in response.

"Why?" Brian asked, turning in his seat to face her.

"I just....needed a fresh start. And you guys were taking forever." He noticed how her sarcasm masked the pain in her eyes, a familiar pain. One of regret, one of loss.

"What happened with Deckard?" She didn't
answer the man's question, bowing her head to lap and fiddling with her straw. Dom watched her, frowning at her obvious pain.

"It's done, we're done." She shrugged nonchalantly, "You guys can celebrate now." She joked, pushing back the tears in her eyes.

Silence filled the car for a moment until Dom spoke, "Losing someone you love is hard, Lottie."

"I know, you lost Letty. That couldn't have been easy." She met his eyes again, sympathy meeting sympathy.

"I did, and it wasn't. But, I got her back. Even after everything, I got her back." This caused her frown to deepen, "And if Shaw is as good a guy as you say, he'll come around and come back to you. And if he doesn't, his loss. Family always finds their way back." Brian nodded in agreement, watching her look out the window as her lip wobbled.

Silence consumed again as Evelyn analyzed the scenery. "I'm gonna get some rest." She spoke up, placing her drink in the cup holder and sliding over a seat to be against the window.

Brian tossed his jacket to her, allowing her to rest her head against it. She mumbled thanks and shut her eyes, her mind going the speed of light as she contemplated their words.