10: Second Phase

You were now proceeding to the second phase of the exam. Killua and Gon was the first one to reach the exit.

There was another test, a human faced ape tried to lure the examinees out. Hisoka threw cards at the examiners to determine which was the imposter. You thought it was stupid and you were quite surprised that some people actually bought it. Of course Satotz was the real thing.

The examiner, Satotz warned Hisoka that if he ever attempt to attack an examiner once more, he will automatically be disqualified from this year's Hunter Exam.

Only 368 applicants were left.

You were now running on the Miley wetlands. Satotz warned everyone that predators use the art of deceit to capture its preys.

You heard someone talking behind you and Hisoka, "Guys this is our only chance. Let's get rid of that bastard." They were referring to Hisoka. Stupid men. Where did they even get the idea that they have a chance?

You finally distanced yourself from Hisoka. You couldn't care where he is now, you used the thick fog to escape his presence. For some reason, you felt that Hisoka won't leave you alone. It felt like he was thirsting to fight you once more. You sighed with the idea, you have no time for that and it doesn't serve you any purpose.

You only fought him once because it was convenient for you, you were bored and your target doesn't even count as a warm up after your 10 month break. It was different compared now, you're keeping an eye on Killua. You were now busy. You know Killua wouldn't like it when you follow him, you weren't sure though. You believe it's just best that he doesn't know. You wanted to observe him.

You're attention was fully on Killua who was running with Gon. You heard Killua decide that they'll move to the front. You intended to follow him. "Right, The last thing we want is to lose sight of the examiner." The young boy Gon agreed.

"I just want to put a little distance from Hisoka. Staying close to him is dangerous. I can smell it." You heard as you eavesdrop without being obvious.

"Hm? Smell?" Gon sniffs the air, "Huh? I don't think he smells."

"Hey Leorio! Kurapika! Killua says we should move up to the front!" Gon yelled to capture his friends' attention.

"Hey! Calm down, don't you feel the tension in the air?" Killua shushed. You continued to listen whilst your eyes was on the foggy figure of the examiner.

You cautiously followed Killua and Gon, maintaining a safe distance. Unfortunately, the fog was getting thicker and thicker as you run further. In a blink of an eye you lost the sight of them. You sighed to yourself. You ran towards the examiner, listening to his footsteps and breathing, using Zetsu to accurately locate the examiner. Maybe they were already at the front. You thought. But there were no other presence beside the examiner.

You began to worry. What if Killua got caught on a trap? But then again, you knew he's capable of protecting himself. You just couldn't help but worry. You promised you'd trust Killua more and leave it to him. It's troublesome to locate him and help him to keep up with the examiner, you'll blow off your cover.

You sighed to yourself as you were already behind the examiner. You were the only one running close before him as everybody was behind you.

The air was humid and cold, your vision was clouded by the thick fog. Your feet were wet from the moist grass. Killua still wasn't back as you checked behind you. All you saw were unfamiliar faces, Hisoka wasn't there as well, but, Gittarackur was following.

He caught you looking at him but you discarded the eye contact immediately and returned your attention to the examiner's figure.

Almost half an hour had passed, you noticed a white haired boy running next to you. You realized it was Killua. He paid you no mind and you acted that you did the same. You thanked yourself for not going after Killua when he vanished, you were glad you trusted him. You noticed that the boy he was with wasn't running with him anymore.

You noticed the fog was getting thinner and thinner by each step you took. You were nearing the second phase of the exam.

"Hisoka. You should get back here, we've almost reached the site of the second phase." You heard a distorted voice that came from someone beside you. It was Gittarackur who was now running on your right, Killua on your left and the examiner in front of you.

"I didn't quite catch your name..?" Gittarackur spoke with his computer-y voice right after he lowered the device he use to communicate with Hisoka. He matched your pace as his attention was on to you instead of the examiner. You didn't want to reveal who you were when you're running beside Killua and you really didn't get the point of being honest when it comes to Gittarackur.

"A/N." You spoke quietly. Gittarackur's eyebrows perked as he lightheartedly laughed with a distorted voice. You looked at him with your furrowed eyebrows and wondered what he found funny.

"Interesting name." He commented and transferred his gaze to the examiner in front of you.

"A/N? Is that a nickname you gave to yourself?" Illumi's brows rose, his index finger and thumb holding his chin.

"It's the name I use when I alter my appearance."

"Interesting." His tone meant otherwise.

Minutes have passed, you and Gittarackur looked behind you as you both noticed a playful presence. Hisoka has returned to the main pack. He was carrying a passed out Leorio like a potato sack on his shoulder. Hisoka still has the pleasant expression plastered on his face as if he has done nothing. You weren't really concern of what he did to the guy.

You were nearing the second phase's location, the fog became thinner each step you took. People from behind cheered, they were glad it was almost over, in the other hand, you and Killua didn't really react. Gittarackur however, maintained his pleasant expression on his face. He seems to always be smiling.

The other applicants rejoiced when the fog dissipated as they reached the gate of the second phase.

"I wouldn't celebrate just yet." Hanzo, the ninja said.

"We have arrived at the second phase!" The examiner announced as he waited for a couple of minutes to finally end the first phase.

You noticed that Killua was gone by your side. He was roaming around the area, as if he was looking for someone. In the other side of your view, you saw Hisoka placing down the unconscious Leorio rather gently on the ground, underneath a tree as he walks to a tree next to it and leaned on it, waiting for someone's arrival.

"Ah? Gon!" Killua called. Gon's gaze was caught by Hisoka leaning on the tree. The jester waved and smiled pointing at Leorio.

"Killua!"

"I actually almost thought you wouldn't make it." Killua said, holding a smile. You caught a glimpse of it, it looked like he was relieved.

"I tracked Leorio's cologne, it wasn't that difficult to find the main pack." Gon declared as he touches his nose. Interesting, his senses are rather sensitive for a kid. You thought to yourself as you eavesdropped to their conversation like you were looking for gossip.

"You tracked Leorio's scent? Geez, you really are weird Gon."