15: Off Limits

You sighed when you escaped the accusing man with his blonde friend.

That man sure is something. How annoying, He felt like I was watching them. The blonde one seems to think so too, he just apologized because of how rude his friend came off. Perhaps I'm being too obvious. Maybe I hadn't noticed because I'm beat up. I should recover and lay low for now.

Recover. You went straight to the dining hall where you found some of the applicants dining. They looked at you as you entered the room.

You ate your meal in the corner, alone. Nobody dared to sit with you on your 12-chaired dining table. But you prefer it that way.

Finally, you were filled. The food was good, unlike the food at home which had the aftertaste of poison. It tasted refreshing plus it was most likely prepared by some gourmet hunter.

You silently exited the dining hall, no one noticed you left despite the room filled with only a few applicants.

A few hours of rest will be enough. You had 14 hours and 20 minutes left before the airship will arrive at the location where the third phase would be held. For the meantime you decided to find somewhere to rest, preferably a room where you're alone.

With that, you walked through the halls of the airship, towards the rooms, checking if the rooms were unlocked and empty so you could deactivate your ability to allow yourself to recover and regain your strength. The thought of resting is what motivated you to hold yourself up.

You took on Illumi's lesson for you that you needed rest first before you could continue, because rest could help with the quality of your performance. Which was what you needed right now. You we're not in a good shape to become unnoticed compared to the beginning of your mission of keeping an eye on Killua. You hadn't had rest since you left Kukuroo Mountain.

The airship was gladly big enough. You didn't want to run to anyone. Especially to Hisoka.

"Hm? Is that you?" You heard an old man's voice. His tone was filled with curiosity wanting to confirm your identity. Oh great. You turned your back, facing the owner of the voice.

"Hello, chairman."

"Oh! It is you." Chairman Netero laughed lightly as he pointed his index finger at you.

"Yes."

"Need a license for a job as well?"

"No, but that's a bonus."

"Hm. I didn't know you wanted to become a hunter. I just couldn't picture it." You blinked at his comment. What does that mean? You thought hard about what he said.

"I don't. It's family business." You answered truthfully, shrugging off his comment.

"I see. Zeno's grandchildren's here as well. Huh. I'm surprised that the Zoldycks came to join the hunter exam." He brings up Killua.

Zoldycks? He never refers to you that you were part of the family.

What could it mean? Perhaps he changed and decided to consider you a Zoldyck now? Feels wrong, something's not right. You shrugged off the thought, too tired to think too deep.

"I have confidentiality to protect. Don't mention anything about this to Killua."

"Mhm. Right." He nodded, "Well, I should get going now." You watched the old man walk past you. You sighed when you no longer saw him and continued to where you were heading.

You thought about what The Chairman said. Why couldn't he picture you wanting to become a hunter? He doesn't even know you that well. And... Zoldycks? How weird of him to consider you as one now.

You met Chairman Netero when you insisted Zeno to bring you on one of his jobs so that you could watch him, it was 2 years ago. After Zeno's work, he had a meeting somewhere, with someone.

That's when you met Chairman Netero. He never referred to you as Zeno's granddaughter nor a Zoldyck. He also commented on how unique your aura was. It wasn't a big deal for you anymore because you get that too often.

Just like Hisoka, your aura was the reason why the chairman recognized you despite changing your appearance, it was nothing like the others. However, your ability has too many downsides for your liking. You can be easily recognized when people around you already knows you. It only works to non-nen users and people you haven't met yet. It wasn't an inconvenience for you, until now.

"Heading to bed? Don't you think it's quite early?" You closed your eyes out of annoyance when you heard that deep and playful voice once again. "Do you mind keeping me company in the airship's bar?" He invited kindly.

You had enough of him. You're tired of seeing his face the whole day and speaking with him. He's making it harder for you than it already is. Now you have to worry about not only your fatigue and Killua, but also him.

What a pain.

"If you're itching to fight me, don't you think you should give me a break?" You hissed sharply. Hisoka only chuckled.

"Well, yes. I was just going to say goodnight." He smiled with closed eyes, coming off as charming, distracting you from being annoyed. As if he hadn't invited you to go to the bar.

"Whatever." It's like everyone was preventing you from resting. With your remaining strength, you escaped from him. It seemed like you vanished in front of Hisoka, when in reality, you were just fast. It made him chuckle in amusement. You said you were tired but you were still able to do that.

You couldn't stand it anymore, instead of bickering with him further, you decided to just leave.

"How amusing. Is she always like that, Illumi?"

Illumi was standing behind a door of a room where he decided to hide and took a break from disfiguring his body for the meantime. Much like yourself, changing appearance would take a toll on him, but he could handle it much better than you because he conserved his energy well.

"Don't lay a finger on her." Illumi warned with a plain tone. The room behind him was dark, Hisoka could barely see him.

"Oh? now I can't touch her as well? It's not like she's a Zoldyck. You don't own her like your brother."

"Oh but I do." Illumi countered plainly making Hisoka sigh in defeat.