29: Utterly Pathetic

You were greeted by the dark and sinister main entrance of the mansion. The manor was gloomy and quiet, as if no one has ever lived there, which wasn't the case. You could hear the gust of cold wind, blowing your hair to the side of your face. The moon was covered by the dark clouds, making the mountain darker than it already is.

The giant double door opened, you were then greeted with the extravagant interior. The main chandeliers were not lit, only the lamps on the walls were turned on as it was currently the middle of the night. Inside was dim, only the warm lights of the candles and lamps were the sources of brightness. The staircase that led to the upper floor faded to pitch black as it was impossible for the lights to reach the endless stairway.

You were then greeted with the two butlers who opened the massive doors, which weighed 5,000 kilograms each. "Welcome home, Master Illumi, Master Y/N. We're glad you're back." The butlers bowed gracefully with closed eyes until you walked past them.

You walked past Illumi as you reached the staircase, earning you a raised eyebrow,

"Where do you think you're going?" This made you halt your steps and turn your head from behind. You sighed in exhaustion when Illumi suggested that you were meant for the isolation room, underground, to claim the punishments you've earned.

"Give me a break." You try to brush it off, weariness and fatigue were apparent from your face and voice. "Let me have my way for once." You weakly added as you continued your way to the upper floor feeling constricted and caged. This made Illumi left annoyed from how weak you sounded.

You were drained and drowsy. You could barely hold yourself up, your knees were feeble from climbing the long staircase, the only support was the meticulously carved handrail you were leaning on to carry yourself up. It was a different kind of tired when you finally came back home, all the exhaustion and stress that built up from your long mission finally kicked in.

"Pathetic. You look utterly pathetic." You heard Illumi audibly whisper to himself. With that, you felt strong arms on the back of your knee and neck, next thing you know, your feet were off the ground as the familiar scent and touch of the Zoldyck's eldest engulfed your senses.

You rest your head on his shoulder, burying your noise on his neck, not even opposing from his non-consensus act of carrying you. "How are you not ashamed of exposing your vulnerability to me?" Despite his degradation, you stayed comfortable in his hold. "I could kill you right then and there." He added.

As Illumi finally reached the second floor, he was then greeted with another staircase, "You are careless and neglectful of your own safety." The assassin seemed to be taking out his frustrations of you to you. "How could you leave yourself weak and exposed to strangers just like that?" He scolded while your face was buried on his neck.

For a moment, this made you thought to yourself. You were indeed foolish for letting Hisoka see the side of you where only Illumi gets to see. You let him vent out while you indulged on the pleasing scent of his hair.

Speaking of Hisoka,

This made you remember, the revelation of Illumi's true identity during the fourth phase of the exam, in Zevil Island. The time where Hisoka suggested that something inappropriate happened between the two of you from his improper choices of words, which led Illumi into thinking that the two of you did the act.

"You know Hisoka and I never did it right?"

"Hm?" The lack of context made Illumi hum, but he then caught on with what you meant, "Yes, you've already told me that." Oh. You totally forgot you denied it when he brought it up. You were slightly embarrassed for bringing it up for nothing, which made you seem like you haven't forgotten about your magician acquaintance.

"However, it was foolish of you to expose yourself vulnerable to him. Foolish is an understatement."

"He did suggest it to me once though." You quietly said. He remained quiet for a moment. The walk to your room almost seemed endless as the manor was relatively large, almost like a maze.

"Hm. What do you think about him?"

"Mischievous, perverted, and skilled, battle-thirsty clown." You paused, "And he's tall." You added, making Illumi blink and raise an eyebrow from your unnecessary comment that you purposely did as you caught on to his behavior, which seemed to be caused by jealousy. How could you have missed it.

You couldn't bring yourself to tease him even further as the lack of rest and exhaustion has finally caught up to you. The weight of your eyelids made it hard for you to not doze off. But before you gave in, "Mmm." You attempted to call out, he hummed and looked down at you.

"Don't leave me again, Illumi." There you said it. You were painstakingly vulnerable and weak in his eyes already. Hearing you say those words just reminded him that you were the same weak and vulnerable child he trained and trained with, except, you just grew stronger and taller. However, you were still the same afraid Y/N when where you were lost in the the vast forest in the estate.

The little girl stopped to her tracks as she realized and accepted that she was lost deep inside the dark forest in the residence of the Zoldycks. The growls from creatures in the forest made her heart skip a bit, the child was no older than 5 years old. The young girl breathed unevenly as she realized it was getting dark,

"Illumi..." her small voice unsteadily called out. It was apparent that the child was terrified. Before she could notice, her eyes released streams of tears. She whined and cried out the boy's name deep inside the vast and corpse-filled forest.

"Could you stop crying? You're scaring Mike and the others." The little girl turned around, her glossy and red eyes sparkled seeing the sight of the boy behind her. She ran towards him and held his hand.

"Don't leave me again, Illumi."

You felt Illumi stopped from walking, you heard the sound of a heavy door opening, you opened your eyes to see what is was. Illumi had arrived to your room. He stepped in. The tied curtains allowed the moon's light to shine through the glass panes on your walls.

Illumi carefully laid you to your mattress, his long hair fell to the side of his arms as he leaned down. Before he could retrieve himself up and leave you alone, you held his arm, "Don't leave." You whispered with a small voice as you finally dozed off to sleep.

Unbeknownst to you, Illumi slowly slid your hand off of his arm as he placed it on your stomach.

He took the time to watch your chest rise up and down as you slept peacefully. His eyes trailed to your body and stopped at your peaceful and relieved expression. The moonlight landed on to your sleeping figure which made you exquisitely ethereal to his eyes. The sight of you beautifully sleeping made Illumi blink and look down as he tries to organize the thoughts forming in his mind.

With the thought in his head, he quietly left your room, feeling quite bothered and confused. Your behavior left him wondering.