33: Say Yes

"I'm quite surprised that you've actually called for me." Illumi greeted as he entered your study quietly.

"I was told to, after I spoke with Kikyo." You said closing the book you were reading as Illumi sat down across from you.

-
"Y/N dear, I have something to tell you." Kikyo mused, her voice was laced with worry and despair. You could even hear the hint of desperation. You had just come to her study as she requested after the tea you shared with Zeno.

"What's the matter?" You asked without any lace of worry nor concern evident in your tone. You sat down, across from the mistress, she whipped out a fabric out of her gown as she used it to wipe the tears that fell from her eyes, underneath her visor.

"You know we're having trouble with Kil. Illumi told me what happened during the hunter exam." Kikyo's voice cracked as she tried her best to talk, "My dear Killua, he truly meant what he said? That he doesn't want to be an assassin anymore?"

"Yes, he did say that," You confirmed,

"Oh!" Kikyo cried louder, burrying her face on to the fabric on her hand.

"T-this family is going to fall apart. Killua is to be heir and we cannot have an heir that isn't interested in the family business! O-oh my dear Killua, how you've wounded your mother's heart!"

"I'm sure Kil will realize that eventually. He'll mature someday."

"No!" Kikyo suddenly yelled, you were taken aback from her behavior but then she came back crying, "N-no." She repeated with a smaller voice.

"Y/N, do it for the family."
-

"Kikyo even told me that the family will fall apart with Killua's disinterest from being the successor. She even came as far as begging me. Unfortunately, I do love this family, enough to agree to it. So to cut it short, I called you to discuss the arrangement."

"How uncalled for, but I'm pleased."

"Where do I even begin..." You sighed, frustration was seeping from you, but you hid it well enough to come off unnoticed and collected. Your heart started pounding as you looked back at Illumi with a curious expression on his face as he anticipated on what you had to say.

Suddenly, you didn't feel as composed as before, you were rather nervous and uneasy when you recalled the conversation you had with Illumi just earlier. Because, he somewhat confessed. However, you weren't entirely sure if it was a confession since it was almost rather impossible for Illumi to feel such thing. You looked back up at him, keeping in mind to stay composed as you were taught, however, failing to do so as you finally processed what Illumi admitted just earlier.

You chose to ignore the curiosity that was eating you out about what Illumi feels towards you as you reminded yourself that it was merely for the betterment of the family, and it was only convenient to marry up with you as you were not only a familiar, you were also raised to their standards.

"I believe we should start by discussing the date of the wedding." Illumi got impatient as crossed his legs and leaned back to his seat.

"How much time do you need?"

Straight to the point, Illumi knew how unprepared you were. It was to be understood since the arrangement was quite spontaneous and random, as if it came out of the blue. So now you were given a short consideration

"A lot."

"A year will be too long. I'm afraid it cannot wait."

"What can't wait?"