30: Marriage

You woke up, alone in your room, thinking that you might've overslept. You did. But something felt different, no one interrupted your rest. There weren't butlers knocking and calling your name from behind the door. You could see how late in the morning it was from the strong light coming from outside your window.

Squinting your eyes, you decided to untie the thick curtain, making it fall, covering the large window, making the room quite dim. You walked back to your bed, however, your gaze caught a piece of paper. Your eyes were focused on it as you made an amused expression when you recognized Illumi's handwriting.

I'll be back.

That's what it all said on the paper. You folded it twice and came back to leaning on your headboard,

You recalled what had happen before you dozed off, Illumi was carrying you when you could barely hold yourself up. The two of you spoke, but mostly, it was Illumi scolding you as if you were a child.

Your mind trailed off to the memory of the end of the hunter's exam. It didn't go well for Killua. You expected him to be in solitary confinement already since he arrived before you. You sighed heavily when you're reminded of Killua's helpless gaze on you. You still felt bad, unable to do anything about it. Your mind then reminded you of your argument with Illumi in the hotel's garden.

"What the hell do you want with me? It's not like you'll die if I leave!"

"That's where you're wrong." Illumi just plainly said. You were confused on what he meant. There were too many possible interpretations of it. One of it is, he'll be punished so badly when he doesn't do anything to stop you from never returning to the estate since he was tasked to look out for you. Will the punishment be that bad that he bothered to force you to come home with him? Was he strongly against disappointing Kikyo and Silva? Or does he simply can't bear the thought that he'll never get to see you again?

"You are careless and neglectful of your own safety. How could you leave yourself exposed and vulnerable to a stranger just like that?"

"It was foolish of you to expose yourself vulnerable to him. Foolish is an understatement." You were too tired to notice and realize last night the fact that he was... worried. You failed to notice that he was concerned. Sure he was scolding you but, Illumi isn't capable of properly expressing his worries, so what he said came off quite harsh. Fortunately you were used to it.

You sighed to yourself as you realized it was the first time you slept properly. If it weren't for Illumi's consideration or pity, you would've been in the solitary confinement by now.

"Pathetic. You are utterly pathetic."

Time had passed. You were still on your bedroom, pondering and recalling the events that had happened, the things you've learned and the people you met along the way. You did a lot of self reflection. You were now aware what your mistakes were. You couldn't just leave it to that, you believed you deserved to be punished to make up for it and learn. After all, you did accept Illumi's punishment. "Fine. I'll accept the punishments."

You stood up, approaching your door, when all of the sudden, before you could open it, the door unlocked and opened. Revealing a certain long-haired tall man. You looked up and recognized Illumi. On his hand was a black velvet box, but you were most intrigued by his presence and not what's on his hands.

Your eyes met, you faced each other once again, you were close enough from each other that you could smell his scent. His void-like eyes focused on your indifferent expression.

Before he could speak, you took the opportunity first, "I've done displeasing actions that I was taught were wrong, but I did it anyway. I submit myself to solitary confinement." With that, you left Illumi standing in front of your door as you walked past him, waiting for him to follow you in order for him to help you claim the punishments you've earned.