27: One Sided

5k words
——End of the Hunter Exam Arc

"All right! First match... Joaquin versus A/N!" You inhaled indifferently seeing that your badge numbers were drawn first. You remained silent, wanting to feel anything as you scanned for excitement and interest towards fighting your opponent.

No killing. You reminded yourself. Killua will pass, Illumi wouldn't like that. You told yourself once more as you recalled the time in the airship when you and Illumi had a conversation about Killua's interest in the hunter's exam.

"I will be the one to decide if it's time for him to take the exam." Illumi said with a plain yet stern tone.

Joaquin, Your opponent, stood a distance away from you with his muscular physique, the ex-military combed his blond hair with his fingers as his eyes bore onto you. He stretched his upper body, cracking his joints whilst looking serious and determined to torture the life out of you.

Your body was nothing compared to his. He had a muscular build and was a lot taller than you. However, you felt indifferent despite the drastic size difference you had.

Little did he know, as he was determined on making you admit defeat through torture, you were good at it yourself. It was part of your weekly routine after all.

"I'm Masta, I'll be serving as referee for this tournament. Good luck, both of you." The exam committee introduced himself as he stood between the two of you.

"What a coincidence that we are still each other's opponents. I'm offended that they considered a little girl like you to be a match for me." You stood there looking at his eyes with indifference.

"Well, nothing can be done. All I have to do is prove to them how they underestimated me." The man shrugged as he closed his eyes. You thought to yourself, does he ever shut up? The man in front of you seemed to have a change of personality, however, he still was overconfident. He took you seriously now knowing that you were capable of paralyzing him for almost a week.

"Too bad killing isn't allowed."

"To bad indeed." His brows furrowed as he heard you agree with him.

"Now! Time to start!" The referee backed off as he left the two of you in the center of the room with everyone watching.

"You ready for this?" his voice echoes through the room, the challenge evident in his tone.

"Ready if you are." You could sense the audience anticipated the first attack. Killua's eyes looked indifferent, probably because he was confident with your skills that you could easily take down your opponent.

The match has been arranged under one strict rule: make your opponent surrender without killing them. You admit, you wanted to finally kill the man, but if you do, you'll let Killua pass. You're a seasoned assassin, your discipline, self control and skills honed through years of training, countless missions and tortures, you needed to control yourself and stick to your objective. Your opponent was an ex-military veteran known for his resilience and combat prowess.

"They could've at least partnered her up with someone close to her league." The familiar voice of Hisoka caught your ear.

Your opponent circle were you stood from, his guard was up and he was in a sturdy fighting stance. In a flash, he pointed the muzzle of his gun, aimed at your torso. You dodge effortlessly as he fired a bullet, your reflexes lightning-fast as you countered with a swift kick to his hand and ribs, this led to him being disarmed with his dangerous hand gun and a broken rib. However, the bullet grazed your right cheek, earning you a wound, small as a paper cut.