Chapter 4 the variant part ii

In Pompeii, Italy, 79AD, the skies were clear as everyone went about their daily routine.

Everyone's eyes widened as they realized what they were going to see.

"Oh my God," Peter said excitedly. "Are we going to see the volcano erupt?"

"That volcano killed everyone in Pompeii," Steve said.

"Which definitely counts as an apocalypse," Sam added.

"I can't believe we're going to see something from 79AD," said Bucky, stunned.

"Loki, we weren't even born yet," said Thor.

Loki blinked in surprise. "You're right. We won't be born for another century."

Everyone's eyes bugged out of their heads, knowing that Pompeii was older than Thor and Loki.

"I wonder if Hela's been banished yet," Thor said.

There was a rumble in the distance.

Everyone winced.

"Ah, the volcano is going to erupt soon," said Rhodey.

Mobius and Loki were hidden in the corner. Loki grinned, "Here we go."

"He's happy?" Steve asked.

"They're going to die anyway," Loki replied.

Mobius shushed him and said it was any minute now.

All of them stared in captivation.

"Until this entire town is wiped off the face of this planet. Imagine. All that volcanic ash," Loki said excitedly.

"And those bodies covered in ash," Natasha said in morbid curiosity.

Mobius told him not to get too giddy. Loki said it was cool.

"I'm not going to lie, it kind of is," said Tony.

"No, it is cool, but it's just not in good taste because—" "They're all gonna die anyway."

No one could argue with that. They couldn't stop a natural disaster from occurring, mainly when it had occurred more than a thousand years ago.

Mobius pulled out his TemPad and said he would watch it for any variance energy.

Loki was nearly bouncing in his seat. He badly wanted to know if he was right.

He said they had to be careful in case Loki was wrong, and there was a good chance he was; anything they did could create a huge branch.

"No, I think Loki's theory is right," said Bruce. "It makes perfect sense. Why would there be a branch if everyone's going to die?"

Loki complained that Mobius even made the end of the world sound boring.

Everyone laughed.

Mobius said they weren't meant to be there and anything they could do would impact the course of history.

"The Butterfly effect," Peter said knowingly.

Mobius said they would start with very small disturbances and asked Loki to make bird noises.

Everyone looked at Mobius in disbelief.

"Bird noises?" Loki asked incredulously. Mobius said to make whooshing noises, but Loki ignored him and ran into the street. "Loki!" Mobius hissed.