Chapter 42

Kellen POV;

Restlessness and agitation were kicking in again; I hadn't spoke to Ana since she'd cut our evening short. That was TWO DAYS AGO! I'd left messages with her Beta, Rick, to give her; she'd been busy every time I'd tried to contact her. Another worry hit me; she couldn't know about the letter, could she? No. I don't think so. What about that look in her eye before she'd left? I couldn't place it...like she was searching me for something. You're just being paranoid...guilty people get paranoid...taunts my conscience.

I need to see her! No good pacing my room, I'd go see her. Throwing on a shirt, some shoes and a jacket, I grab my car keys and head down to the garages. Dad caught me on the stairs, "Where are you going, Kellen?" Of course it wouldn't be that easy to leave the house. I huff impatiently.

"To see Ana." Like I'd be going anywhere else.

"Take two Royal guards with you," Is his sole reply before he disappears as quickly as he appeared. I make the journey a fast one. My stomach drops as I knock on the front door; maybe I should have given her some warning?

The door opens to reveal her pack Beta, Rick. "Is Ana here?" I ask after a moment, giving him some time to recover from his surprise at seeing me.

"Er, no. She's out at the moment. She's actually due back soon, would you like to come in and wait?"

"Sure." I step in and look around, assuming more interest in the house than I had when visiting this pack on the Royal check; I didn't realize how homely it looked, very comfortable. "Did you pass on my messages?" I question as I look at the pictures of Ana and her pack, which I could remember for certain weren't here when we last visited. Each displayed smiling/grinning faces on fun days out; they looked more like a large family than a pack.

"Yeah. Would you like a drink?"

"Water, please." I look around; my curiosity roused at noticing Rick seemed to be the only one here. "Where's the rest of the pack?"

"Working." He doesn't elaborate as he hands me the water. My wolf senses his guardedness around me, despite his posture seeming relaxed as he leans against the kitchen counter; my eyes drop to some files peeking around under his arm, I'd have thought nothing of them if he didn't then adjust his stance to hide them. "So..." Begins Rick.

"So...where's your mate?"

"Running errands," he shrugs vaguely. "Been up to much, your Majesty?"

"Call me Kellen; I'm not here in official capacity," He nods. "And not much really, royal duties mostly." I mimic his shrug. My wolf bristles under the awareness that this was some kind of test; for what, I wasn't sure, nor was I entirely comfortable with it. It made me want to assert my dominance, but this was neither the time, nor the place and I'm sure Ana wouldn't appreciate it.

Our eyes both shoot to the door as it sounds open, my mood brightens blindingly when Ana steps through the door; her arms were full, one with a box, the other her bag, but she looked as beautiful as ever in her smart attire of black pencil skirt, white blouse and blazer. "Prowess." Bowed Rick, formally. Ana freezes, assesses him momentarily before her gaze finds mine, a smile pulls at the edges of my mouth; flickering her gaze back, she addresses Rick. Did she just brush me off? Tension knots in my stomach; she must have somehow found out about the letter... I dismiss the thought, knowing that there is no way she could have found out, and even if she had her reaction is too cool and collected in any case.

That being the case, I look closer at Ana's appearance; her hair was tied back in a bun but wisp of hair had escaped and were framing her face, her expression was collectedly controlled, yet if you really studied her face, her cheeks lacked a little colour, there were well hidden bags under her eyes and tension lay within her jaw. Her overall posture stood erect and stiff; concern immediately plagued me, maybe something bad had happened and that was why none of her other pack members were here? Why Ana had been so busy she'd been unable to answer my calls?