Chapter 55

Anastasia P.O.V.

Returning with the pack at 7pm, I'm taken aback by the amount of royal guards swarming around the house, I slow my pace deliberately as I scan the trees. I feel my temper rise; this better not be another precautionary measure put in place by Kellen for my protection! Brody immediately approaches me. "What the hell is this Brody?!" I ask annoyed, crossing my arms.

"Ana, I need to speak with you in private right now." His manner is urgent so I check my temper.

"Everybody, go inside and get showered. Pack meeting in half an hour." I tell the pack, keeping my tone even. Their curiosity is apparent. Rick gives me a raised eyebrow then leads everyone inside, Brody and I drop back as he leads me to a shadowed area at the side of the house. "Start explaining."

"Have you seen Kellen?" He asks after checking for listening ears. My heart skips a beat... that hadn't been the question I'd been expecting.

"Not since the ceremony. Why?" I demand. A sense of foreboding begins to creep up on me.

"After the ceremony, the Royals went back to the palace, but I suspect Kellen came here with the intention of seeing you without telling anyone. I've had an agent assigned to follow him without his knowledge for some time now; the agent contacted me about an hour ago to report following Kellen here, but he was cut off mid message. I found the agent not long ago, mauled half to death. He's currently in the hospital in critical condition, there's no sign of Kellen. Has he contacted you at all?" He asks desperately.

My face drains of colour, as I swallow with difficulty, guilt thick in my throat. "I've cut myself off from him all day to stay focused on today's events." Brody's understanding nod doesn't reassure me, he sighs, rubbing his face. "I can have my pack members help you search these woods?" I offer trying to stop myself overreacting. I needed to help; If I hadn't been cutting off Kellen all day- if I had just talked to him - this wouldn't have happened. He wouldn't have needed to come and see me, he wouldn't have gone missing. This was my fault.

"That would be helpful. I'll be sending as many royal guards as can be spared from the other royals to search the territories of the neighbouring Alphas. I'd like to keep this situation as tight as possible. If Kellen has been kidnapped, public knowledge of this will cause panic. Keep your new initiates out of this please-"

"Do you think the southern rogues have anything to do with this?" I interrupt, thinking of the amount of attacks that had increased as of late, and wondering if Kellen had been caught up in another attempt to attack my territory.

"I don't know, Ana. If it were possible to search the lands just over the southern territory border, I would. But I have no authority over there and it could do damage to our relationship with the southern royal family to demand searching their lands. I just have to pray that Kellen is on our side of the border." Resigns Brody, running his hands through his hair in frustration. A light bulb goes on.

"Brody, my cousin - James - he's head of the southern guard. I could call in favour?" Other than the one I'd already called in. If James meant what he said about putting his resources at my disposal, then this shouldn't be a problem.

"Your cousin is James Ledger?" Asks Brody, surprised. I nod. "Well, yeah that be a relief. If you think he'd help, I'll take anything you can get. Get to work on your favours, I need to go and inform the King and Queen of the situation. I'll be back in about an hour."

*

After informing James of the situation, I pace restlessly in my office as I wait for Rick to gather the pack in the living room. A knock at the door has my heart starting. "Enter." Rick comes in, his expression immediately changing to concern at the barely concealed despair on my face. I quickly mask my expression. "Is everybody ready?" I ask before he has a chance to speak. He nods as I brush past him.

"Now then everyone," I begin, trying to sound positive. "Congratulations on our first pack run! Pack runs will always be scheduled for during a full moon due to the cleansing qualities the moon holds for us. I am aware that everyone has yet to move into our new accommodation. This move will begin tomorrow. I recommend that you all get a good night sleep and be back here, bright and early for 10am tomorrow. Clear?" It took so much effort to keep my voice free of emotion and my expression composed. Every will in my body fought to keep it together. I'd never felt so vulnerable. After the chorus of agreement, I dismiss the initiates, "My original pack members will remain seated."

As the room empties and all that remain are my original pack members, I do a once over to check that unwanted ears weren't listening, shutting a door here and there before taking the head of the table. Clearing my voice to steady it, I survey my pack, "Prince Kellen has gone missing-" I hold up my hand to silence their responses, "-I have offered our assistance in the search to find him. I will be splitting you up into pairs and you will be delegated an area to search." A knock at the door sounds and in walk James and Brody. "Given the increase in southern rogue activity, there is a possibility the Prince was taken by rogues. Four of you will be accompanying James across the southern border and aid in the search over there with his royal guards. I'm going to make this very clear; this news is not to be repeated to anyone outside of this room. I do not want to cause any panic. Now, any questions before I split you up?" Everybody shakes their heads, concern and alarm is the mixture of expressions. I could only pray that the moon would enlighten us to Kellen's location.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey everyone!

Happy Valentine's Day! Only appropriate to show you guys some love after all the love you guys show for this story! Thank you so much <3

Let me feel the love guys, VOTES & COMMENTS please <3

Much love <3

Next upload will be in March! :)