Chapter 1

*PLEASE NOTE: When this story is completed, it will undergo full and thorough editing/ renovation. Until then, I hope you enjoy! *

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crown Prince Kellen Natheal, when crowned King will become ruler and peacekeeper of all werewolf packs for the whole of the North; making sure that no wars are started and that humans and werewolves remain in perfect harmony. However there is only one problem...the Prince hasn't found his mate. It is well known fact every werewolf only reaches full strength and ability when they have found their mate.

With your mate, your other half, together you become stronger; for this reason and understanding the King and Queen were keen to find the Prince's mate so that when the time came for him accept the throne, he would be at his strongest and would have someone to help, nurture, encourage and love him. As a royal, all of these were much more important to keep the peace; the agreement was made that until the Prince had his mate, the King would stay on the throne.

Ever since the Prince turned 16 years old, every year, for the Prince's birthday, the King and Queen held a ball with the hope that he would find his mate but so far to no avail. Other balls had been held for the Prince's brother; Prince Maxim and his sister; Princess Arabelle. Prince Maxim had found his mate on his 16th birthday and Arabelle had still to find hers.

There was slight worry between the royals about the Prince never finding his mate since his brother had found his, yet the royals weren't going to give up. The ball for the Crown Prince's 23rd birthday was arriving and everything had been prepared, though this ball wasn't like any of the others; in the respect that the King and Queen had also planned on the Prince meeting with many of the Alpha's and their packs which he would be at oath to keep peace with. The only worry on the Prince's mind was that a werewolf gathering with so many Alphas and the Royals in the same place might be a good opportunity for an attack;

*Kellen POV*

"How much security is there to be?" I ask of Dad.

"Don't worry son, it has all been sorted. Even if an attack has been planned, the chances of its execution are very slim. There will be 14 Alphas in the room and several members from each of their packs; all of them, I am sure, have considered the possibility of an attack" spoke King Alf Natheal from behind his desk, the Queen stood just behind him, holding his hand.

"Besides my dear, I should think you might be more pressed to find your mate as well as make friends with the Alphas. When you find her she shall be equally, if not then much more important to you" spoke Mom gently. Queen Maryanne was never a woman who raised her voice and never a woman to be trifled with, take it from a guy with experience.

"You mean 'if'. I haven't found my mate in any of the other balls held in the last two years, what makes you think I will find her in this one?" I replied frowning. I'd grown almost tired of this routine, I felt that my mate and me should be drawn together not pushed together. Though every ball always brought beautiful girls, perfectly willing to throw themselves at me, I never found my mate or felt her presence, the way mated couples said you would. I couldn't help feeling apprehensive. The ball might turn out to be nothing or it could turn out to be everything; this was the thought I always had the night before and tonight my apprehensiveness had been heightened by the company that was to attend.

"Sweetie don't think about it like that, you will know when you find her. We expect nothing of you tomorrow but polite manners and making a good impression." Replied Mom, walking away from Dad, who from the strong connection they shared as mates hated not having her near him and his protectiveness always showed in his eyes. I often liked to think that when I found my mate I would feel exactly the same. Therefore the sudden changes in Dad's facial expression were no surprise though he relaxed when he saw her stand in front of me, their eldest son, and cup my face.