Chapter 32

Anastasia POV;

The Queen sat in shock; her eyes wide as comprehension dawns across every feature in the misleading youth of her face. I wait anxiously for her to say something, anything, to give me a clue as to whether I'd made a good or bad choice in telling her who I was. The minutes ticked on as piece by piece the realisation and implications came together. Finally the Queen gave a cathartic musical laugh; I breathe out the anticipation I'd been holding.

"Please, by all means, relax dear Ana!" Spoke Maryanne still laughing to her self, until she eventually settled with a very much contented smile, her eyes gleaming. "You were anxious for my reaction?" She puzzled softly, her eyes alight. Relief swept through me upon realising the Queen seemed more than happy - joyous even - at the revelation.

"I was, I wasn't sure how you would take it," I reply honestly, smiling nervously at her. "Or even if you'd believe me, actually."

"Of course I believe you! Dear child, everything makes so much more sense now!" She laughed again, taking my hand tenderly between both of hers. "The choices you have made, the way you have reacted to recent situations, everything my son has told me about what he knows of you; it all makes sense! It fits together perfectly. I'm surprised we never thought of it sooner... and the irony!" She laughed a few moments more before sobering again. "All this time we thought you had a Alpha protecting you! All the while speaking of you and The Prowess as separates." She mused fondly.

I nod, not sure quite how to handle the Queen's surprising glee. "I've had to be careful." I murmur, more to myself than the Queen, who heard all the same.

"Of course you have my dear! It only makes sense now. But so that we are both on the same page, tell me from the beginning please; I'd like to fully understand all and then naturally I will be able to help you to the very best of my ability." She says firmly, unaware that she had taken on a motherly role, something that had me smiling.

I started with the ball; when I'd realised I couldn't tell Kellen who I was and why. I then ran through everything else, including the precautions I'd taken before the check such as the visit to my father and how I'd known about that attack on the Royals at the end of the check. In between which the Queen asked where I'd been taken to after I was attacked and who had healed me. Continuing on, I then spoke of how I'd come to end up at the club opening where I met Kellen again, until finally finishing on the letter regarding the policy and why I thought it best to contact her now. "I don't think it would be safe if Kellen were to discover who I am just yet. I was going to wait until the next ball to tell you all who I am because by then I will be at full strength again and in a much better state to handle things."

"I see... yes I think it very wise to leave your next encounter with my son until the next ball, most definitely until you are fully recovered. What can I do to help you with regards to the new policy?" She asked intently. Determination of a protective nature displaying in her manner, which allowed a glimpse into her maternal side, I found it heartwarming that she seemed to care so much when, even now, she knew hardly anything about me.

"The scheduled meetings with a member of the Royal family to check up on our progress, I just was wondering if you would be able to ensure that ours don't coincide with Kellen." I say carefully.

"That won't be a problem; I'll make sure I personally handle all of yours myself. I'd very much like to spend more time with my future daughter in law." She winked, a twinkle in her eye. My cheeks gave one of their very rare, but thankfully very subtle blushes as I smile politely back. "Now, Ana, dear, I have so many questions! First of all, is Ana short for anything?" She began, pouring us some more tea.

"Anastasia. Prowess Anastasia Wolfe, being my full title," I reply modestly smiling. "You won't tell Kellen you saw me today will you?" I ask suddenly, remembering when he walked in on our phone call yesterday.