Chapter 72

Anastasia POV:

I wake with a pounding headache. As if something were hitting my temple. For a while, I sit with my head between my knees, trying to work out what could be causing it. I'd only had drink at the club last night and it only had one shot in it which had nothing on a werewolf metabolism.

I connect to my Prowess for answers and as if by magic, the pain vanished. No sooner had the temple pain disappeared that I become aware of lower stomach pain. Why couldn't I catch a break?

I grit my teeth and ignore it, moving my thoughts on to Aries' letter and everything he'd said last night, and guilt creeps in. I'd been so angry at his dismissal of our friendship by completely blanking me from his life, and yet he'd done it because he'd found his mate. And lost her.

I tried to imagine my life without Kellen, and the headache returned with such vengeance, I cry out from the pain. I reach for my Prowess, and just like before the pain disappears again. Learning my lesson, I shove thoughts of Aries and Kellen forcefully back into their respective boxes in my mind and give up trying to sort through all the painful thoughts in my mind. Anything that makes me feel anything is shoved into a separate box, never to be opened again.

With everything compartmentalised, an eerie numbness settles over me and all the positive feelings I'd felt last night, from being able to dance and be free, flies out the window. Back to emptiness and the composure that hides it all. I make my way downstairs; surprised Jones isn't in the kitchen with Mum, Kara and Tyron.

Speaking of the Devil, Jones walks through the kitchen door as I take a seat at the table. He looks as tired as I feel; it had crossed my mind last night that Jones may well have been following me, and then I decided I was too desperate to be free for a few hours, I didn't care if he was or not.

I nibble at the pile of toast plated in front of me, I wasn't hungry but Mum would fry me for breakfast if she didn't see me eat something. I turn my face into my shoulder and clench my teeth at the wave of agonising stomach shaking me to the very core. Sweat beads on my brow at the effort of keeping my expression clear for my siblings. I take a deep breath out as it passes.

"Jones-" I begin to say only to be interrupted by a furious knocking at the door. Jones is at the door before even Kara and Tyron can jump up excitedly and try to answer it. Jones opens its while Kara and Tyron try to peak out from behind him. Mum takes off her apron and approaches also.

"Who is it Jones?" Ask Mum, coming up behind him. "Oh my!" Immediately Mum curtsies, at the same time Jones bows. "Children, show your respect please." They both look up confused but do as they're asked and follow suit with Tyron bowing and Kara curtseying. "Your Royal Highness" greets Mum.

"My apologies for such a rude interruption. Is Anastasia here at present please?" I get up and approach the door, to see Arabell stood at the door, her cheeks flushed and hair wispy, her manner urgent.