Chapter 7

Kellen POV;

Without distractions to take my mind of my missing mate, I grew restless, agitated; luckily my parents made sure I wasn’t short of things to do after the ball. The order of which packs would be visited first was still being brought together and then the Alphas had to be informed. A discussion including these topics was now being held in the study between the family and myself.

“Which pack are we to visit first?” I asked with a pen in my hand poised ready to write.

“I’d like to meet the Prowess first,” said Arabelle thoughtfully. “I mean we didn’t meet her at the ball and I am truly fascinated about how she keeps such control over her pack.”

“Yeah I’ll admit I’m eager to meet her myself. When we met her pack at the ball, they were full of nothing but loyalty and respect for her.” Added Maxim.

“I agree but I’d rather start with the packs furthest away and work our way inward,” I interjected. The Prowess had the respect of many of the Alphas just through word of mouth; those who’d had the pleasure of meeting with her had said that, in command, she knew full well what she was doing, how to handle her pack and the situation as well as having a friendly personality. The Alphas who hadn’t met with her held high expectations; many of these had hoped to be quenched at the ball but were sadly disappointed at her not making an appearance, we- the Royals- now held these expectations.

“I agree with you, Kellen, we’ll take the furthest away first; we’ll visit two packs per day,” spoke Mom.

“They will also be the visits we’ll need the most amount of guards for,” added Dad firmly. “We’ll visit the Prowess when we finish with the furthest packs; her pack are located nearer the south border on the edge of town, we can then work inward from there.”

“Agreed” we all said at the same time as I wrote it down. The meeting continued for another hour before finishing. Afterwards, once the arrangements and informants had been dealt with, we began talking in general, however I wasn’t listening.

“Kellen, you’ll find her,” Mom reassured me having noticed I wasn’t listening and was examining the bracelet again.

“And if I don’t?” I ask stiffly without looking up.

“Bro, she’ll be feeling the same as you are. When you find your mate you join as one; whatever hurts you, she’ll feel it and likewise. If your wolf’s pining I’m almost positive hers is too” said Maxim with sureness in his voice backing his words.

“Kellen, I hate being away from Maxim; when I’m away from him I feel this massive weight in my heart and it's horrible. My wolf starts pining for our missing mate and I feel like I don’t have any strength. I’m weak without this boy next to me” she said and I looked up to see her give Maxim a playful nudge and a smile.

“I’m surprised you’re lasting the way you are,” said Dad.

“What do you mean?” I asked lifting my head to look at him.

“Being away from your mate doesn’t make you any less stronger than you were before you met them, however it does make it very difficult to fight without them; if you wanted to fight someone right now, your wolf would probably resist,” said Dad. “Which is why I want a lot of security for the further away packs; since the rogues know you have found your mate, if they see you on the check without her then they will see it as a perfect opportunity to attack us.” He continued.

“You have more strength than Alf would have if he were away from me and I think that’s because your mate is feeling strong,” added Mum.

“So basically, your mate must be in the mind frame that what she’s doing, by staying away from you, is right enough for her to stay strong, and while she is strong so are you, right Dad?” summarized Belle sounding a little confused.

“Yes sweetie. The only motivation I could ever have to stay away from your Mother is if it were to protect her; if she were in danger and the only way I could keep her safe were to stay away from her, I’d do it. My wolf, with such a strong incentive, could live with that.” Said Dad speaking earnestly.

“Your mate’s wolf will only be able to stay away as long as the reason for staying away is justified and rational and from what I saw of your mate at the ball bro, she looked like that kind of girl.” Added Maxim; pursing his lips as he thought about it.

“There was definitely something about her that I’ve never seen before; I can’t quite point out what it was” spoke Mom frowning. The others mumbled their agreements.

While the rest of the family began another conversation, I started thinking about everything that had happen at and since the ball; the rogues, my mate, the fight, my mate, the Alphas and my mate again. When I had spoken to mated couples before, I found it hard to believe that such a strong attachment was possible but now I knew it was true. My mate was my strength and weakness, my light in the dark and my gravity on earth. If an attack were to arise while we did the annual check, would I be able fight? Without the ultimate strength only my mate could provide, I knew my wolf wouldn’t be able to.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dedicated to my amazing Mum for her birthday <3 I Love You Mum! <3