New Year's Tree [HEX & Badtimes]

Hi peoples, I'm back for a not really Christmas and more New Years but also kinda Christmas fic here. 

No, this is not because I planned to write a Christmas fic and then ran out of time so I turned it into a New Years fic. 

Enjoy! :D

WC: 1221 

TW: couch pain?, kinda like carpet burn but not really, burnt tongue

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Xay! Xay, what are you doing?" Hels asked, as he almost dropped the box of ornaments he was holding.

"Um, putting the tree up?" Xay asked, holding the top of the tree, trying to put it into the bottom part. Since they were too lazy to water the tree and they lived in the nether, they had gotten a plastic tree that you needed to put together yourself.

"You're putting it on wrong," Hels said fondly, putting the box on their couch and walking over to help Xay. He grabbed the middle part and put it on the bottom part, smirking at Xay who "oh"ed in realisation

"Well.. I've never built a tree," Xay said, looking to the side, blushing. Hels let out a breathy chuckle, ruffling Xay's hair. Xay pouted, pretending to be mad but ending up appearing as embarrassed.

Hels opened the box of ornament as Xay put the top of the tree on with a satisfying click. Hels turned the box over in a moment of impulsivity, letting out a small, "oops." As several of the ornaments started rolling under the couch, coffee table, and at his feet. A few of them looked slightly cracked, being made of glass. Only around 10 ornaments actually stayed on the couch, where he originally dumped the box.

Xay turned around, raising an eyebrow at Hels's appalled expression, breaking out into giggles. "I, you," Xay got out, pausing as they giggled, eventually breaking down in laughter. Hels put a hand on his forehead, slowly dragged it down his face as he groaned.

He paused, fondly smiling at Xay, before slightly chuckling as well. What was he meant to do? Laughter is contagious, or so as everyone says. Hels slightly shook his head at how absurd this was, and picked up the box so that he could collect some of the ornaments.

Xay eventually stopped laughing, squatting down so that they could reach the ornaments under the couch. Turns out their arms were too short, so they laid down, reaching at the ornaments. He managed to sweep a few out, but there was just one at the back, closest to the wall.

"Ehhh," Xay groaned, reaching for the ornament, their fingers slightly brushing it. Before it rolled sideways again, slipping out of his grasp. After moving and trying to reach the ornament for around 2 minutes, Xay laid, exhausted, with one arm still under the couch and their hair all ruffled up from being dragged around on the carpet.

Hels had finished collecting the other ornaments, looking over at Xay to see if they had any luck. His eyebrows furrowed as he tried to hold back laughter, watching as Xay dramatically sighed and looked into the darkness of the couch, glaring at the ornament that Hels supposed was back there.

"I can't reach the freakin' ornamentttt," Xay complained, flailing both of their arms, immediately stopping as the one under the couch hit the wood and resulted in kicking his legs instead.

Hels sniggered, shoulders shaking slightly. "Just get a broom or something to fish it out?" he suggested, squatting down to Xay patting his head.

"...why didn't I think of that earlier!" Xay said, trying to pull his arm out from under the couch. Hels lightly scoffed, pulling Xay's other arm to try and help pull them out. Xay ended up just going limp, too lazy to actually try and push themself out so Hels just pulled Xay out, stretching him like a rubber band. Well, not really, 'cause Xay isn't that flexible. But you get the point, Hels dragged Xay's arm out from under the couch, their arm scratching against the bottom of the couch.

Their arm was slightly red, Hels noticed, as they collapsed on the couch that they were previously half under. "Your arm good?" Hels asked, looking around for a broom.

"Yep, just sore," Xay said, sitting up and watching as Hels searched their house for a broom. Having found the broom, Hels was now dealt with the task of getting that one ornament out from under the couch, laying on the floor so he could see what he was doing and not just be sweeping the dust out from under the couch. As dirty as it was, it's better out of sight so they don't have a reason to clean it. Out of sight, out of mind.

Xay now sat on the couch looking through the box of ornaments as Hels fished around for the one ornament stuck under the couch. The broom swept around many times, gathering dust before Hels actually got the ornament out. This meant the broom was now covered in dust, and that the ornament turns out, was also slightly cracked. It wasn't a complete waste, they had basically cleaned the entire bottom of the couch of its dust and of the broken ornament. There was also a cat toy under there, probably from Butter, short for Peanut Butter, Bad Times's cat.

Speaking of, there was a knock on their door then, and a loud meow, signalling Bad and Butter's approach. Hels sighed, laying on the floor with a really dusty broom and a cracked ornament. Xay giggled a bit, and stood up to go open the door.

"Hey," Bad started in greeting, pausing to look at Hels. "What?" He asked in confusion, not sure what Hels was up to. Or down to, considering that he was laying on the floor.

Hels had the temptation to throw the ornament at Bad, but considering it was glass and Bad was holding Butter, he didn't want to scare the cat.

"Why are you guys making a tree? It's already past Christmas," Bad asked, storking Butter's head.

"It's a New Year's tree of course!" Xay exclaimed, as if it was obvious.

"You guys didn't get around to putting it up on Christmas and how it's a New Year's tree?"

"No, it was always intended to be a New Years tree," Xay said, crossing his arms.

"Ok," Bad shrugged, putting Butter down and letting him roam the house. "You good there Hels, man?"

Hels groaned, sitting up and throwing the stupid ornament away in the trash so it couldn't crack and hurt someone. All the other broken ornaments were already in the trash, so throwing the other one in would be loud. Hels had to carefully put it in, so that it wouldn't be too loud and scare Butter.

After that, they finally started putting the ornaments on the tree. They didn't put any of the candy canes on, because Xay claimed it was too 'Christmas-y' and it was for New Years. But the Gingerbread men were acceptable because it was cute. So then, they decorated the tree, which was missing a lot of ornaments in the back but looked good enough from the front. 

After, they then made some hot chocolate and Butter almost knocked over all the chocolate powder. Luckily, Hels has fast reflexes from sparring (also from Xay dropping things), managed to catch it.

"Ow," Xay said, after taking a small sip of their hot chocolate. BadTimes rolled his eyes, knowing that Xay had burned his tongue.

Hels snickered, and leaned over to 'kiss it better' as they always do. Bad cringed, looking away. Why does he always have to be the third wheel?