Chapter 57-Martha

Jonathan and I always had one budget of how much we were going to spend on Christmas. We would split the amount and then I would go out and hunt down the gifts on Paige's list. This year was no different, I wasn't going to change a good system just because I was divorcing him. Unfortunately, there was one gift I wasn't able to get Paige. It was the newest Princess Sophia doll. I looked everywhere for the past two months and came up empty. We just hoped Paige wouldn't be too disappointed.

Every Christmas Eve Paige and I baked cookies, tracked Santa and watched movies together. We were happy when Lori joined us this year. Apparently, her brother and his family were going away for the holidays so she had zero family obligations and could spend the festivities with us. That also meant Lori staying and having a little girls night. She and I spent all night wrapping Paige's gifts and strategically transporting them from the bedroom to under the tree without waking her up. I had a good amount labeled from Mama and Daddy and the rest were from her favorite person this time of year, Santa.

~~~~~~

Before I knew it, Christmas morning was here and a bubbly bouncing 5 year old was in my bed telling me that Santa came and we had to go downstairs right away. Jonathan was already in the kitchen making breakfast by the time we made it down. That was another thing we agreed on, he would arrive early so she had both of us here once she woke up. So far everything was going exactly according to plan and I couldn't have been more grateful.

My mother arrived just in time for breakfast. She had her hair tightly pulled into a bun looking as if she was going to brunch at the country club with her cashmere scarf, large sunglasses and kitty heels. Me on the other hand, was still in my pajamas probably with a small bird's nest on top of my head. I was still annoyed with her after finding out about what she put my father through but I wasn't going to stop her from seeing her granddaughter on Christmas.

Paige was on the floor opening gifts with Lori and my mother on either side of her. I was sitting on the arm rest of the love seat while Jonathan was watching with a smile on his face from his seat on the couch beside me with a coffee in hand.

I gave Lori her gift half way through, which was a silk head scarf that she had her eye on for the last few months. To say that she was surprised was an understatement. I had caught the sale just in time. I got my mother a pair of new sunglasses that she had been asking for and Paige gave her macaroni art I helped her make that said "La Mejor Abuela".

Jonathan had been eyeing me from time to time but I didn't question it as we cleaned up the accumulating wrapping paper.

The doorbell rang followed by a knock on the door as Paige ripped into the last of her gifts. Jonathan, Lori, and my mother looked at me. "Are you expecting someone?" Lori inquired.

"Uh no actually. It's probably just Mrs. Throndsen from across the street bringing one of her baked goods." I said as I got up from the couch.

Hearing Paige giggling about her present with my mom brought a smile to my face as I opened the door. Though what was behind the door made me smile even bigger.

Standing in front of me was the last person I thought I was going to see; a very uncomfortable looking Ryan. His hair looked like he had just rolled out of bed but in an attractive way that not everyone could pull off. His hands were tucked into the pockets of his coat and he was barely making eye contact as it was.

"Hey?"

"Hi." His cheeks had a tint to them due to the cold but I saw his eyes slightly glazed over.

I tilted my head before leaning on the doorway, "Have you been drinking?"

He sighed looking away in shame, "Not today... yesterday. I'm a little hung over. I understand if you don't want me to stay, this is your Christmas with Paige. I don't want to over shadow it with my problems. I just needed to prove to myself that I didn't have to feel so miserable today."